Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Developing LXD As A New Linux Hypervisor

Phoronix: Canonical Developing LXD As A New Linux Hypervisor

Canonical's latest effort for pushing Ubuntu further in the cloud and within enterprises is LXD, a new high-performance hypervisor derived from the concepts of LXC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So let me get this straight, they're developing a hypervisor that allows for running operating systems at native performance? Meaning we will finally be able to run games properly in a Windows VM on Linux without the unstable VGA Passthrough tech that requires multiple GPUs? And we can run many of them at once all at high performance with ease?

Or am I misunderstanding this project.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      So let me get this straight, they're developing a hypervisor that allows for running operating systems at native performance? Meaning we will finally be able to run games properly in a Windows VM on Linux without the unstable VGA Passthrough tech that requires multiple GPUs? And we can run many of them at once all at high performance with ease?

They might say exactly this, but I'm 99% sure it's typical PR propaganda bullshit.

Comment

No I just found out that they don't support windows at all, it's just for running linux VMs on linux. Basically it's pretty much useless for most of us, but perhaps useful for establishments like schools and companies that want to save hardware expenses by running virtual machines for their students/employees on just one supercomputer rather than buying dedicated hardware for each person under their roof.

Comment

No. The use of "hypervisor" is totally misleading. They're developing a container that runs "Linux on Linux." (Says those exact words on their LXD page.) This is not a hypervisor at all, just a very specialized application wrapper.

Comment

No I just found out that they don't support windows at all, it's just for running linux VMs on linux. Basically it's pretty much useless for most of us, but perhaps useful for establishments like schools and companies that want to save hardware expenses by running virtual machines for their students/employees on just one supercomputer rather than buying dedicated hardware for each person under their roof.
            Is it LTSP good for that? Or...something like PXE+NBD/iSCSI...or even PXE+Spice...I don't know if I'm saying something stupid

I suspect it's another "not invented here syndrome" affair...but surely I'm confused

Comment

Systemd-nspawn

Is this something like systemd-nspawn?

Comment

This is ain't for amateur Linux enthusiasts and gamers. This is for the cloud guys.

I used to get headaches for doing the stuffs manually at my ex-job, and I was asked to used CentOS instead of Ubuntu, and cPanel and other stuffs were the de facto tools to be used.

If you wanna get an idea what they're doing, check out how DigitalOcean creates VPSes on the fly and you get the idea. It's about using similar solutions like Xen, Hyper-V and co, yet automatizing the whole process and making it peaceful and headache-free, let alone providing a WebGUI as they used to do for similar products from Canonical, making it easy with the clicks of the mouse.

It's aimed for the enterprise, and if you ain't in that sort of job, then plz don't comment some silly gibberish or at least get educated first.

Let's give credit when and where it's due.

Comment

Oh Please!

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  Is this something like systemd-nspawn?
                  SystemD has yet another feature.....

Comment

More Fracturing In The Linux World

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Canonical Developing LXD As A New Linux Hypervisor

Canonical's latest effort for pushing Ubuntu further in the cloud and within enterprises is LXD, a new high-performance hypervisor derived from the concepts of LXC...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzMDA
                    I don't see how Canonical will make much of a market here.

There are too many other "players" already in the market that are doing "full hypervisor" virtualization, like Xen, KVM, VMware, and others. Then there is the world of "Linux containers" which is a "Linux specific" technology. There are any number of already existing virtualization management tools from simple web interfaces that poke commands at the underlying CLI to "full blown" environments like OpenStack that include "everything plus the kitchen sink". The matter isn't even one of "free software" versus "supported free software" since some of the already established offerings do have support offerings.

I think Canonical is "a day late and a dollar short", or little more than a "me too!" type of "player" in this space. Perhaps Canonical is playing up to their "loyal customer base" that only wants to use products created by Canonical. Seriously, I just don't see any "differentiation" in this offering from Canonical.

Do we have another "Ubuntu Phone" product offering on our hands?
                    Last edited by NotMine999; 04 November 2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X