Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Performance Breakthrough Discovered For Intel's Mesa Driver

Phoronix: Major Performance Breakthrough Discovered For Intel's Mesa Driver

LunarG in cooperation with Intel discovered a very important performance fix for their DRM driver that will significantly boost the OpenGL performance for "Haswell" HD Graphics on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is fucking incredible...
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
      What i wouldn't give for a post like 'we've discovered a way to make the r600/radeonsi drivers' performance triple if you stand on one leg and whistle 'How much is that doggy in the window?'. <- Now that would make my day.
      Ask LunarG for a quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
        What i wouldn't give for a post like 'we've discovered a way to make the r600/radeonsi drivers' performance triple
        'we've discovered a way to make the radeonsi driver STABLE' would be even better.
        ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          'we've discovered a way to make the radeonsi driver STABLE' would be even better.
          I have a 7870, I've used 6000 series cards, and I've built and run 3 r600 / radoensi APUs. The only time radeonsi ever crashes is in extremely new games, and very rarely, but example I got one crash in ~80 hours of borderlands 2 and it was due to a firmware bug on the card that got fixed a week later.

Catalyst, on the other hand, is lucky to last an afternoon.

Comment

Considering the linux performance was already nearly on-par with windows, this is actually quite amazing. I'll be excited to see the results for this.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              I have a 7870, I've used 6000 series cards, and I've built and run 3 r600 / radoensi APUs. The only time radeonsi ever crashes is in extremely new games, and very rarely, but example I got one crash in ~80 hours of borderlands 2 and it was due to a firmware bug on the card that got fixed a week later.

[...]
              ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

Very broadly experienced bug for MONTHS: Random radeonsi crashes
                Nobody knows what the heck is causing this. Radeon HD 7770 here on Arch Linux but with Mesa 10.1.4 to at least avoiding this blocker bug (but apparently Mesa is not to blame).
                But I agree with you that Catalyst is horrible. It was stable for me, at least the last two years, but has a mountain of bugs. I actually had to switch to Radeon because GPU accelerated rendering in Firefox resulted in a black window.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
                  Very broadly experienced bug for MONTHS: Random radeonsi crashes
                  Nobody knows what the heck is causing this. Radeon HD 7770 here on Arch Linux but with Mesa 10.1.4 to at least avoiding this blocker bug (but apparently Mesa is not to blame).
                  But I agree with you that Catalyst is horrible. It was stable for me, at least the last two years, but has a mountain of bugs. I actually had to switch to Radeon because GPU accelerated rendering in Firefox resulted in a black window.
                  Sounds like a common VBIOS issue. If you have Catalyst installed it tells you the VBIOS version you are using, combined with the vendor/exact model of your card you can look up whether there's an update e.g. here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...Type=&memSize=

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    I'd love to see a breakthrough like this for the Nouveau driver too

Comment

Working...
                    X