Compiz 0.9.12 Released, Starts Porting GTK Window Decorator To GTK+ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz 0.9.12 Released, Starts Porting GTK Window Decorator To GTK+ 3

Phoronix: Compiz 0.9.12 Released, Starts Porting GTK Window Decorator To GTK+ 3

While Compiz 1.0 might never be reached given its diminishing usage these days and bleak outlook with Unity 8 being designed around Mir, Compiz 0.9.12 was released today with some minor new developments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully they finally included the nvidia patch to fix the corruption issues that make compiz unusable on modern nvidia drivers.

....but looking at the bug list I can see that I'm being optimistic here....

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Hopefully they finally included the nvidia patch to fix the corruption issues that make compiz unusable on modern nvidia drivers.

....but looking at the bug list I can see that I'm being optimistic here....
      What bug is that? I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers without any obvious corruption issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
        What bug is that? I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers without any obvious corruption issues.
        I think he is referring to this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1288747
        Video about it here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/52198...nvidia-drivers

Comment

Compiz 0.9.12 is the Ubuntu 14.10 build, nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
            Thanks for the info Veske.

Looks like it must only affect certain Nvidia hardware as I'm definitely not seeing that issue in 14.10 with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Comment

Good for the GTK3 compatibility

I'm still using Compiz because despite its age, it's still the most advanced compositor feature wise.
              The scale plugin especially is awesome as it can smoothly display all my VR desktop in a grid, and I can move all the windows inside, like in a giant desktop.
              I would hope Gnome Shell has all the compiz feature, but it's still very far to be the case...

Comment

Compiz needs to be killed, piece of shit never worked properly. I'm currently using Ubuntu with Unity and that works fine but Compiz always has some issues with every release of Ubuntu. I'm hoping that Unity 8 is ready to use as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Allard View Post
                  Compiz needs to be killed, piece of shit never worked properly. I'm currently using Ubuntu with Unity and that works fine but Compiz always has some issues with every release of Ubuntu. I'm hoping that Unity 8 is ready to use as soon as possible.
                  A lot of those issues were introduced by Canonical. Merging Unity into Compiz was obviously a poor decision from a software engineering perspective.

It'd be nice if after Canonical lets it go, the MATE guys pick it up and remove all the Unity stuff and get it back to being a good window manager.

Comment

Compiz was plenty stable prior to the 0.9x C++ rewrite and before Canonical took it over a few years ago and made it their compositor for Unity DE and it became worse in every way (less stable, with crippled plugins). Stability issues aside it's still one of the fastest and most advanced compositing engines in linux and I hope it gets made better for general use.

And dang, that screenshot from the article made me all nostalgic for the days when Ubuntu would send you like 10 LiveCDs with beautiful packaging.

Comment

Working...
                    X