Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gizmo 2 Development Board Powered By AMD SoC

Phoronix: Gizmo 2 Development Board Powered By AMD SoC

The Gizmo Explorer Kit has been available for a while now as an open-source, mini x86 development board to compete with the many ARM development boards available to consumers and developers. The Gizmo 2 has now been announced as the second-generation development board. Like the original Gizmo, the Gizmo 2 is powered by an AMD SoC with Radeon graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i was very exited but after i see the price ...

Comment

How does this compare with the Tegra K1 dev board?

More to the point, is there an inexpensive Tegra K1 64 bit board?

Comment

Could have its uses, for example for Kodi(XBMC) powered HTPC.
        But IMO it's overpriced.

Comment

That's expensive, but still a steal compared to what AMD's ARM Opteron A1100 development board costs ($2,999).

Anybody looking for an AMD based HTPC or small server would probably choose a socket AM1 board (ASRock AM1H-ITX with DC input and Displayport/DVI/HDMI/VGA outputs, or ASUS AM1I-A with ECC memory support) for a fraction of the price.

Comment

Looks to me like the NVidia Tegra K1 dev board (also at $200) would be a far better deal. 2GB vs 1 GB, to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by yakman2020 View Post
              Looks to me like the NVidia Tegra K1 dev board (also at $200) would be a far better deal. 2GB vs 1 GB, to start with.
              No free drivers, a old a15, less usb ports ...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                No free drivers, a old a15, less usb ports ...
                The USB question is a noop. Both boxes have 1 EHCI, and 1 XHCI. Get a hub for more ports.
                The CPU is indeed an issue, but for an HTPC I would think it would be quite sufficient.

Comment

Get a hub for more ports.
                  A Dream ... another box ...

The CPU is indeed an issue, but for an HTPC I would think it would be quite sufficient.
                  The CPU is not the big issue, but the first point, no free drivers did you ignore and thats is the big issue with it.

Comment

Not ignored deliberately.

The issue being the nVidia driver is proprietary, and ther eis not now nor expected to be a "nouveau".

Comment

Working...
                    X