Ubuntu Developers Still Thinking What To Do About Adobe Flash Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Still Thinking What To Do About Adobe Flash Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Still Thinking What To Do About Adobe Flash Support

Besides figuring out what to do about 32-bit Ubuntu, another session of interest today during the online/virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit was trying to decide what to do about Adobe Flash support on the Ubuntu desktop. There's three years before Adobe plans to end-of-life their support of Flash on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Or maybe just implement PPAPI in Firefox

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
      Or maybe just implement PPAPI in Firefox

RESOLVED (nobody) in Core Graveyard - Plug-ins. Last updated 2022-05-16.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I can't actually remember how I did this (I think it involved a symlink, but I definitely found the instructions via Google rather than experimenting myself), but there's a way to get Firefox to use Pepper Flash currently if you have it installed via the pepflash-installer package. From my Firefox about: plugins:

Shockwave Flash

File: libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
        Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
        Version: 13.1.2.3
        State: Enabled
        Shockwave Flash 13.1 r2

MIME Type Description Suffixes
        application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf
        application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl

That said, I could certainly see not wanting to have this as a default, supported option, as that pepper flash deb installer currently does some janky stuff like downloading Chrome and ripping out the flash plugin. I wouldn't have to be in Canonical's shoes and worry about redistribution.
        Last edited by axfelix; 13 November 2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

...but...but... how will we see banner ads?

Comment

Is it just me or is Flash becoming more prevalent in YT videos? It seemed like it got to a point where I could barely play any YT vids in Chromium (too lazy to link to Chrome's Flash plugin). Is this because of all the ads now?

Comment

I use pepper flash with Firefox when it's needed.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Is it just me or is Flash becoming more prevalent in YT videos? It seemed like it got to a point where I could barely play any YT vids in Chromium (too lazy to link to Chrome's Flash plugin). Is this because of all the ads now?
              YouTube is all html5 now, make sure you have the right codecs. YouTube.com/html5 to check if you have them.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Not really. I can't think of any video that loads through Flash in my case in YouTube (both with Firefox and Chrome/Chromium)

Comment

That said, I recently switched to Opera to get upstream Chromium (I'm not a big fan of Firefox) because of notification hangs in Chromium 34+ (after they dropped GTK -- https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=374247) and they actually ship both libpdf and pepper flash, both of which are missing if you only install Chromium rather than Chrome, so I'm not sure if they're doing it by some special agreement with Google or what, but it works great out of the box in their case.

Comment

I'm sure Flash will die eventually. Adobe is doing a crap job maintaining it (even for PPAPI) and aside from games or ads, most websites seem to be shifting toward HTML5.

My problem with Firefox is Mozilla seems to be doing a really half-ass job at trying to solve these problems. Shumway is good in theory but it just doesn't work for almost anything. Their video acceleration is poor too.

gnash and lightspark have caused me more problems than they fixed. There are plugins that can play flash videos without the need of flash player, but isn't supported for all websites.

If mozilla doesn't want flash to be a problem, they need to take more action. But for the past few years I always felt Firefox has been hanging by a thread. I like the browser but it feels technologically inferior. As soon as they fix a major problem there's a new technology released they need to worry about.

Currently, I feel MSE is what firefox needs most. Their hardware acceleration is plain crap but without MSE, their efforts in combating flash will get harder.

Comment

Working...
                    X