AMD Gallium3D Marks Huge Win: Beating Catalyst In Steam On Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Gallium3D Marks Huge Win: Beating Catalyst In Steam On Linux Game

Phoronix: AMD Gallium3D Marks Huge Win: Beating Catalyst In Steam On Linux Game

As a follow up to yesterday's 16-way AMD GPU comparison with the latest open-source Linux graphics drivers, here's some numbers with the same graphics cards when adding in the Catalyst Linux graphics driver... The numbers may very well surprise you...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Gallium3D Marks Huge Win: Beating Catalyst In Steam On Linux Game

As a follow up to yesterday's 16-way AMD GPU comparison with the latest open-source Linux graphics drivers, here's some numbers with the same graphics cards when adding in the Catalyst Linux graphics driver... The numbers may very well surprise you...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzODQ
    Look, don't mean to be rude, but I don't give a crap about these old ass games. They've been running decently on Gallium for a while (as long as you're not rocking an ancient adaptor). What about newer games like Civ 5? Borderlands? (for which the Catalyst runs extremely poorly?). How about Wasteland 2?

Comment

Not sure what happened to other post,

But please try some newer games. I don't give a rats ass about TF2 and Counterstrike. Those already ran decently on Gallium provided your card wasn't vintage.

Borderlands 2? Civ 5? Witcher?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyy00 View Post

But please try some newer games. I don't give a rats ass about TF2 and Counterstrike. Those already ran decently on Gallium provided your card wasn't vintage.

As soon as those newer games provide a means for being able to provide automated and reproducible benchmarks...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

But please try some newer games.
          Yawn... how many times have we been through this?

(1) Michael only tests things that can be easily automated
          (2) Testing the same programs is important to monitor the progress of the drivers over a number of years.
          (3) Driver developers choose which programs they consider useful for performance monitoring

Comment

Presumably it's the LLVM shader compiler in radeonSI that isn't up to par yet. I'm guessing GO uses a lot more complicated shaders than TF does.

Comment

CS:GO runs like shit on my HD5770... Civ 5 runs pretty well. Borderlands 2 is quite playable, but it dips under 30fps when too much shit is happening on screen. Witcher 2 is totally unplayable in Gallium3D, never got more than 15 fps in the lowest configuration.

Comment

weird how, aside from the HD6870, almost all of the TF2 results were identical. This is pretty good news, since it suggests that the open source drivers are exactly where they should be in a functionality standpoint. The disappointing thing is how even catalyst is still pretty far behind compared to Windows, but, this is likely due to a lack of any game-specific optimizations.

Once all tests run equivalent to catalyst, we're in good shape, and that seems to be right around the corner. Then, when we can ditch catalyst, I'm sure Michael will be relieved since that means 1 less thing he has to test.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
                  CS:GO runs like shit on my HD5770... Civ 5 runs pretty well. Borderlands 2 is quite playable, but it dips under 30fps when too much shit is happening on screen. Witcher 2 is totally unplayable in Gallium3D, never got more than 15 fps in the lowest configuration.
                  Witcher 2 was almost unplayable on my old HD 5750, but I have it at near max detail (didn't try ubersampling yet) with my R9 290 and it performs great. Sure that GPU is roughly 4x faster than a 5770 but there's definitely something different going on since that game plays flawlessly for me now.

If only I could get 5.1 surround out of HDMI...

Comment

old games

I for one still play TF2 on my HD 5770. Thanks for not forgetting about me

Comment

Working...
                    X