Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Is Doing Its Final Freeze Tomorrow

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Is Doing Its Final Freeze Tomorrow

It looks like Fedora 21 will go into its final freeze tomorrow and hopefully allow Fedora 21 to be released as planned in early December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu have been buggy since I upgraded to 14.10. I need a stable system and can't stand that kind of mess so I'm interested in something else.
    Ubuntu have been working great for a few years now, could Fedora do the same or is it just to far on the edge?

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
      Ubuntu have been buggy since I upgraded to 14.10. I need a stable system and can't stand that kind of mess so I'm interested in something else.
      Ubuntu have been working great for a few years now, could Fedora do the same or is it just to far on the edge?
      Have been using Fedora since 14 without missing any upgrade.
      Almost everything is fine.

Comment

There's no such thing as a stable OS. Any example one mentions in favor of some OS can be challenged by someone else's legit problems with the same OS. The only solution to your problem is to try out.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          Have been using Fedora since 14 without missing any upgrade.
          Almost everything is fine.
          Almost everything wouldn't cut it. This is my only workmachine.

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          There's no such thing as a stable OS. Any example one mentions in favor of some OS can be challenged by someone else's legit problems with the same OS. The only solution to your problem is to try out.
          As said this is my only machine for work, I don't have time to fiddle.

Comment

Almost everything wouldn't cut it. This is my only workmachine.

Same here, but I had to, if I don't how will I know the given OS works on this particular computer? I don't have a PC clone.

Comment

I use it for my work machine and never had any problems however if you don't want to spend any time on updating the OS, any OS that has a new release about twice an year may not be the best fit for you. It really depends on *what* you use it for.

Comment

Fedora may be a little too bleeding-edge for your requirements. Debian or CentOS are my "boring/stable" distros of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  Fedora may be a little too bleeding-edge for your requirements. Debian or CentOS are my "boring/stable" distros of choice.
                  Agreed. I've been using Fedora for my main home desktop environment since FC1, skipping only FC15. But I dual boot CentOS, and installed CentOS 6.6 on my workstation and CentOS 7.0 on my UEFI notebook this weekend. Both went without a hitch. General recommendation is to see if your work workstation will boot a CentOS 7.0 LiveCD, then check it will install on a USB drive before committing to your system disk. Having the bootable USB drive standby is good insurance when reinstalling the main system. Also necessary if you need to edit the system partitions on your main drives.

If CentOS 7.0 works for you, it will probably work for many years. There will be CentOS 7 updates until June 2024. Your workstation might live that long, but probably not as your workstation.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers
                    You might be correct that I should fallback on something like Debian, however except
                    for Unity the only other DE I like is Gnome Shell. And Gnome Shell below 3.10 is in
                    my eyes not ready for use, and 3.16 seems to be fantastic so if I can't have Unity I
                    want it as fast as possible.

I work a lot with just the laptop and need something that works great with just the
                    keyboard which is Unity and recent Gnome Shells.

I might fall back to the Ubuntu LTS, it worked great and provides Unity.

Comment

Working...
                    X