Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nokia Releases The N1, A Nice Looking Android 5.0 Tablet

Phoronix: Nokia Releases The N1, A Nice Looking Android 5.0 Tablet

What's left of Nokia after selling off their phone/device divison to Microsoft, the Finnish company has unveiled their first new piece of hardware: the N1 Android tablet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's just sexy...

I'm buying this. I don't care if it's a bad buy, I feel the urge to support the "new" Android Nokia
    (this is coming from somebody who loves his Nokia 925 Windows Phone)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      That's just sexy...

I'm buying this. I don't care if it's a bad buy, I feel the urge to support the "new" Android Nokia
      (this is coming from somebody who loves his Nokia 925 Windows Phone)
      it is not nokia, it is foxconn

Comment

It's a nokia branded device, not manufactured by nokia(foxconn maybe):
        The N1 is planned to be available for purchase in China in Q1 2015 for an estimated USD 249 before taxes, with the anticipation of expanding sales to other markets.

In addition to the Nokia brand, Nokia is licensing the industrial design, Z Launcher software layer and IP on a running royalty basis to the OEM partner. The OEM partner is responsible for full business execution, from engineering and sales to customer care, including liabilities and warranty costs, inbound IP and software licensing and contractual agreements with 3rd parties.

The N1's industrial design and Z Launcher application originate within the Nokia Technologies business, which is focused on strengthening Nokia's industry-leading innovation portfolio through patent, technology and brand licensing.
        Wonder if it has open bootloader, as it is x86_64 hardware might wan't to try running linux distros on it. Though powervr is a curse, which reminds me a horrifying poulsbo.

Comment

Very nice looking device, specs look good too

Seems to be a Foxconn device with Nokia's brand name and Android skin (5.0 Yay ) on it. But being aluminium it may have the build quality reminiscent of Nokia when it designed its own hardware, certainly looks like a solid device

Hopefully getting one in AU won't cost too much, would like to try several OS's on it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            it is not nokia, it is foxconn
            You mean "just like Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Amazon do", don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
              being aluminium it may have the
              absence of wireless charging

Comment

A tablet with 4 cores, an OpenGL 4 capable GPU and a larger than 1080p display.. holy shit, the times we live in.

Comment

I would never, ever touch (sic) that device. I'm too traumatized by PowerVR chipsets in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerovingio View Post
                    You mean "just like Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Amazon do", don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn
                    no, i don't
                    in this case foxconn will not only produce it, but also do marketing, sales and warranty. nokia only leases name and some ip

Comment

Working...
                    X