No announcement yet.

Linux 3.18 File-System Performance Minimally Changed But Possible Regressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.18 File-System Performance Minimally Changed But Possible Regressions

Phoronix: Linux 3.18 File-System Performance Minimally Changed But Possible Regressions

With the Linux 3.18 development settling down, here's our usual benchmarks of the new kernel when comparing the file-system performance against the previous stable version (Linux 3.17) for EXT4, F2FS, XFS, and Btrfs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it's things like this that make linux constantly get better
    keep up the good work

Comment

I am still wondering when I should make the switch to XFS (from EXT4) in my hdd disk.
      Has someone done it and feels it better now?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        I am still wondering when I should make the switch to XFS (from EXT4) in my hdd disk.
        Switched over to XFS a few weeks ago and it's been running fine so far. I haven't had any experiences with corruption or anything serious yet though. As you can see from the benchmarks, the performance is roughly the same between the two filesystems.

I can say that I noticed XFS fragments much more than EXT4 in my experience and XFS's defragmenter leaves a lot to be desired.
        IMHO, it's not worth switching to XFS from EXT4 or vice versa if you're already familiar with one.

Comment

Not critically, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            I used XFS for my movie collection on 2 Tb HDD. When the HDD died, I bought a new HDD with similar characteristics and formatted it to Ext4. No difference in performance.

Comment

Working...
            X