Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Jackson Resigns From The Debian Technical Committee

Phoronix: Ian Jackson Resigns From The Debian Technical Committee

There's yet another resignation this morning in the Debian camp...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Welp, I guess that's that. This will probably be the end point of my cases, then, unless something more happens in this space.

Comment

Please Explain Yourself

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Welp, I guess that's that. This will probably be the end point of my cases, then, unless something more happens in this space.
      Are you saying that voicing a minority viewpoint has no place in this world? Or are you saying you disagree with how Ian Jackson handled the voicing of a minority point of view?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
        Are you saying that voicing a minority viewpoint has no place in this world? Or are you saying you disagree with how Ian Jackson handled the voicing of a minority point of view?
        I'm saying that the drama should stop now, and thus my Phoenix Wright cases about it should fit into 10 parts (hopefully).

Comment

I hope that the next time a controversial issue arises, someone will step forward to advance what might be a minority view.
          I thought that was the point of a technical committee?

Also, GreatEmerald, I love your Phoenix Wright cases.

Comment

He did voice the minority opinion and he did it properly. He doesn't (and shouldn't) resign. Sometimes you make your case and the minority opinion becomes majority sometimes it doesn't. He can try again next year, or not. I don't think anyone should look at this as victory or defeat. This is the way Debian will proceed. I wish he would stay. (I'm a Debian user, I've been happy with systemd and view it as an improvement on my systems.)

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              Minority voices of dissent [counter to a prevailing trend] are always necessary in a democracy. Being a prick to be a prick and beating a dead horse is not.

Comment

Minority viewpoint? It sounds more like a personal agenda from what I've read.

It's all well and good if proposing alternatives advances progress in the right direction. But his viewpoints were just sour grapes and only served to slow down development of Debian. They chose systemd after a thorough decision-making process, it's time to move on.

Comment

I still don't understand why using systemd is such a big deal. The downsides of it are hardly issues or have simple workarounds.

Personally though, I've moved myself as far away from debian as I possibly can. It is still on my office computer but that's only because it'd waste too much time to migrate to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I still don't understand why using systemd is such a big deal. The downsides of it are hardly issues or have simple workarounds.
                    Because it's no longer a technical issue, it's become a completely emotional issue for a lot of people.

Comment

Working...
                    X