Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 39 Brings Mostly Internal Changes

Phoronix: Google Chrome 39 Brings Mostly Internal Changes

Google's Chrome web browser reached version 39 on Tuesday in its stable channel for all supported platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised they're just now getting a 64-bit Mac version. Why did they ever bother making a 32-bit release?

Comment

I feel the release notes are pretty shy, two pretty important APIs for web apps landed.

Comment

User interface?

Are they ever going to fix the UI on Linux?

The UI feels pretty alien. The menus and everything look really weird. Doesn't feel native at all.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Are they ever going to fix the UI on Linux?

The UI feels pretty alien. The menus and everything look really weird. Doesn't feel native at all.
          And what do you propose they should do about it? Firefox doesn't feel any more native. Chrome is multi-platform in every sense of the term. Google doesn't need to be wasting their time making the UI match each major desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            And what do you propose they should do about it? Firefox doesn't feel any more native. Chrome is multi-platform in every sense of the term. Google doesn't need to be wasting their time making the UI match each major desktop environment.
            Firefox feels very native for me on both Windows and Linux. Never tried it on OS X.

Also Firefox is in the process of getting ported over from GTK 2 to GTK 3.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Firefox feels very native for me on both Windows and Linux. Never tried it on OS X.

Also Firefox is in the process of getting ported over from GTK 2 to GTK 3.
              The newer releases of firefox don't feel all that native. The preferences screen might, but that's because it hasn't changed in 10 years. If you're using a GTK based environment then it might feel slightly more familiar compared to chrome, but that leaves out all environments not using GTK.

Personally, I really don't care what the feel is as long as it does what I want it to and does it well. Chrome might feel foreign but it does what it needs to. Firefox might not fit in a Qt environment but that hasn't had any negative effect on me.

Chrome OS is basically just a bootable web browser. I'm sure the inspiration of making chrome OS is because some people turn on their computers solely for browsing the web. When you are THAT immersed in a single application, I don't think it really matters how well it integrates with the rest of your system. That being said, you could argue games should feel more native to your DE.

Remember, many of the graphical changes made for firefox were inspired by Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The newer releases of firefox don't feel all that native. The preferences screen might, but that's because it hasn't changed in 10 years. If you're using a GTK based environment then it might feel slightly more familiar compared to chrome, but that leaves out all environments not using GTK.

Personally, I really don't care what the feel is as long as it does what I want it to and does it well. Chrome might feel foreign but it does what it needs to. Firefox might not fit in a Qt environment but that hasn't had any negative effect on me.

Chrome OS is basically just a bootable web browser. I'm sure the inspiration of making chrome OS is because some people turn on their computers solely for browsing the web. When you are THAT immersed in a single application, I don't think it really matters how well it integrates with the rest of your system. That being said, you could argue games should feel more native to your DE.

Remember, many of the graphical changes made for firefox were inspired by Chrome.
                Not only does it feel native on GNOME and GTK environments, but it also feels native on Windows.
                I haven't used Firefox in Qt environments, so I don't know about that.
                By the way, the preferences screen, they are in the progress of redesigning that, so it will be like a page, kind of like it is in Chrome right now.

Comment

firefox looks horrible on kde, on unity , on gnome.., it looks good only on windows and osx. Google chrome, now is horrible too, because they doesn't use gtk or qt...

Comment

I agree with uid313, Chrome looks so weird on Linux. Firefox on the other hand is integrating himself just fine in every desktop, but then again what really matters is that the programs work fine. Chrome absolutely doesn't, shitty lagging browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X