Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based Manjaro Users Express Concern Over Update Strategy

Phoronix: Arch-Based Manjaro Users Express Concern Over Update Strategy

While I've ran benchmarks of the Arch-based Manjaro Linux distribution in the past and found it a convenient way to play with Arch and overall a nice distribution, it seems for users running it day in and day out aren't entirely satisfied with the update strategy of Manjaro...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Arch-Based Manjaro Users Express Concern Over Update Strategy

While I've ran benchmarks of the Arch-based Manjaro Linux distribution in the past and found it a convenient way to play with Arch and overall a nice distribution, it seems for users running it day in and day out aren't entirely satisfied with the update strategy of Manjaro...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg1MTQ
    TL;DR some people discover that a stable distro takes more time to build and update than a less tested one.

Comment

Some people are trying their best at being silly.

Comment

OMG ! What a bunch of cry babies...

Like they are not able to use the testing repo. I've been using it for a long time and it's all fine.

Comment

And hopefully enough people knowing will force the developers to do something about it.
          That line pissed me off.
          Some people really need to learn HOW opensource works.

No one owes you a flying shit.
          Want something fixed - do it yourself, or at least help it happen.

Those whining cry-babys actually have 3 options:
          1) switch back to windoze and be happy
          2) switch distro and be happy
          3) get in touch with developers and help them fix the issue

Comment

Originally posted by asavah View Post
            That line pissed me off.

Those whining cry-babys actually have 3 options:
            1) switch back to windoze and be happy
            2) switch distro and be happy
            3) get in touch with developers and help them fix the issue
            There is 4th option - switch to Arch and never look back

Comment

I actually use Archbang as an easy base to install Archlinux because it has an installer. Almost no changes from Archlinux, except a pre-loaded OpenBox and X11 and its easy to migrate to a different desktop environment. No seperate repositories either.

Comment

Originally posted by asavah View Post

This is the kind of cliche that doesn't stand up to examination. The typical Linux user *can't* start fixing bugs, adding features, building packages, etc., any more than the typical Windows user. They don't know how, and don't have any reason to learn. Open source was created by developers to serve the interests of those developers. All the benefits that accrue to users are by-products.

Users have their own cliches, too. One of them is that distributions have endless resources, so any thing "bad" that happens must be caused by sheer stupidity or malevolence.

Comment

ROFL, reads like a really lame flaming attempt by some arch user...

Comment

why could this be? probably because annoying bugs in cinnamon 2.4, or because they want the 0.8.11 to be very stable. Whatever it is, I still haven't found another distro as good as this (for my needs) to change.

Comment

Working...
                    X