Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noctua i4 CPU Cooler: Great For Cooling High-End LGA-2011v3 CPUs

Phoronix: Noctua i4 CPU Cooler: Great For Cooling High-End LGA-2011v3 CPUs

When receiving the new Intel Xeon E5-1680 v3 and E5-2687W v3 CPUs, the CPU heatsink I switched to using for cooling the eight and ten core workstation/server processors was the Noctua i4 CPU Cooler (NH-U9DXi4). I've now been using this heatsink for over a month and it's been working out great for my range of LGA-2011 v3 CPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

silent and can blow over 120W away
    bit high though

Comment

Raijintek NEMESYS and you cpu will never overheat .

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
        Raijintek NEMESYS and you cpu will never overheat .
        Looks quite similar to the Phanteks TC-PH14PE I have on my Mini-ITX Bitfenix Prodigy case (Yes, it fits with the right motherboard). I'm quite nervous about the 960gram heatsink it has and the motherboard supports... and that's 90 grams heavier.

Comment

haha anyone else really bothered by the fact that the heatsink is pointing 90 degrees in the wrong direction? Normally these heatsinks are good to have a consistent air flow directly out of the case, but this is just blowing at the wall. But whatever - clearly it still works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by maligor View Post
            Looks quite similar to the Phanteks TC-PH14PE I have on my Mini-ITX Bitfenix Prodigy case (Yes, it fits with the right motherboard). I'm quite nervous about the 960gram heatsink it has and the motherboard supports... and that's 90 grams heavier.
            It's heavy, but I don't think it will break your moby if you don't move you PC to much, if I need to move me PC to other place I move it horizontally not vertical.

Comment

It's heavy, but I don't think it will break your moby if you don't move you PC to much, if I need to move me PC to other place I move it horizontally not vertical.
              Bitfenix Prodigy mounts the motherboard horizontally. Perhaps I'm just nervous about the wrong reasons. If I ever have to move the system by car, I'll definitely detach the heatsink.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              haha anyone else really bothered by the fact that the heatsink is pointing 90 degrees in the wrong direction? Normally these heatsinks are good to have a consistent air flow directly out of the case, but this is just blowing at the wall. But whatever - clearly it still works fine.
              I think the fan guards are typically at the blow direction so it's blowing at the graphics card?

Comment

Yeah, it's blowing down toward the GPU. That setup seems weird to me (I'd normally have it blowing out the back of the case), but it would make more sense if he has fans blowing in from the top, and it would also disturb more air if there were fans blowing in from the front (and would allow that fresh air to blow across the heatsink from the side while also pulling air from above)--it might be more efficient that way.

I wouldn't know, though, since I use an aio cooler, and haven't tried many air configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  Yeah, it's blowing down toward the GPU. That setup seems weird to me (I'd normally have it blowing out the back of the case), but it would make more sense if he has fans blowing in from the top, and it would also disturb more air if there were fans blowing in from the front (and would allow that fresh air to blow across the heatsink from the side while also pulling air from above)--it might be more efficient that way.

I wouldn't know, though, since I use an aio cooler, and haven't tried many air configurations.
                  It won't be more effective since it breaks complete the natural flow of the air - hot air goes up not down, maybe the gpu will be a little bit cooler but the cpu will be definitely hotter then in normal configuration.

Comment

It won't be more effective since it breaks complete the natural flow of the air - hot air goes up not down, maybe the gpu will be a little bit cooler but the cpu will be definitely hotter then in normal configuration.
                    first there has to be a difference of temperature for hot air to go up
                    and when there is some 10?C difference, the acceleration of that air is very slow compared to a fan blowing
                    if it blows from the cpu on the gpu, the gpu will be a bit warmer while the cpu will be the same

the most influential thing in cooling a computer is the throughput of air
                    unless there is some major obstruction, like a cpu fan blowing to the right while the case fan is blowing to the left

Comment

Working...
                    X