Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Puts Out Its First Monthly Rolling Media Release

Phoronix: CentOS Puts Out Its First Monthly Rolling Media Release

The CentOS project is beginning to produce monthly re-spins of CentOS 7 that contain all of the updated packages introduced this month. This new CentOS Linux rolling media approach will make it easier to install a fully-updated EL7 system with having to install just minimal updates after the installation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, I was JUST having problems with the original iso's installer so hopefully this fixes it
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Maybe all distributions should be doing this?

C'mon this isn't a commercial 1995 operating systems shipped on a CD.
      This is a free software operating system distributed in the Internet age.

Comment

It's nice to have.

Comment

?or just do a network install from a minimal ISO and get all the current packages to start with?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            …or just do a network install from a minimal ISO and get all the current packages to start with?
            Right, because everybody in the world has highly-reliable fibre or broadband subscriptions with download speeds of 100mbps++. /scarcasm

Where I used to work, you'd be lucky to get 2mbps.

Cloning optical media >>> download speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              ?or just do a network install from a minimal ISO and get all the current packages to start with?
              Sure. Assuming the minimal iso has the network and graphics drivers for your latest&greatest fresh-off-the-truck-from-newegg whizbang workstation build. Which fersure wasn't the case at the time I acquired my current Shuttle H67 SNB, or the IVB UEFI notebook I bought eighteen months later. And this has always been the case, and always will be. Keeping the kernel drivers up with the hardware is a never-ending, thankless task. Just ask Michael how much thanks he gets.

Or Karanbir Singh. This is very welcome news whether we thank the CentOS team for it or not.

Comment

Perhaps I was a little short sighted. I normally only install CentOS on well-connected production servers that already have good driver support. I always thought it was an odd choice for a regular home desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Right, because everybody in the world has highly-reliable fibre or broadband subscriptions with download speeds of 100mbps++. /scarcasm

Where I used to work, you'd be lucky to get 2mbps.

Cloning optical media >>> download speed.
                  Actually, it is also quite easy to make a local repo mirror for cases like this. But still nice as a mirror can be also made from the repo on an iso image.

Comment

Working...
                  X