Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Developer Experimenting With Firefox UI In HTML

Phoronix: Mozilla Developer Experimenting With Firefox UI In HTML

Paul Rouget of Mozilla has gone public with his experimental, proof-of-concept work to rebuild the Firefox user-interface within HTML...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Years of work for the UI of a browser? Seriously guys (devs), unless you work for the government get your shit together.

Comment

I thought XUL was basically HTML but with some stuff on top of it to make it easier to use for interfaces.

Comment

I have to admit that I'm often baffled by mozilla's priorities...

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Years of work for the UI of a browser? Seriously guys (devs), unless you work for the government get your shit together.
          HTML apps can be easily ported to run on basically anything and everything. Performance wise it'll take years to get it to be on par with the current desktop version.

Their interest in this stems mostly from their work on Firefox OS which is mostly if not all HTML5 apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
            I thought XUL was basically HTML but with some stuff on top of it to make it easier to use for interfaces.
            Well not actually, XUL stands for XML User Interface Language, so it's an XML.
            Unless you are referring to XHTML, HTML is not an XML because it allows things XML does not and invalid stuff is just ignored. XML has a stricter syntax.
            So XUL and HTML are similar but they have totally different vocabularies, and XUL has a stricter syntax that makes it somewhat more verbose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
              Nope. XUL is basically an XML-based syntax for describing screen layouts... for saying there's a window and it has a toolbar at the top with buttons X, Y and Z, etc. It's purpose built for doing application UI, whereas HTML has simply evolved some ability to be used for the same.

Comment

This is just part of further integrating advertising into Mozilla. They've already started down that road, so why stop now?

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
                  I have to admit that I'm often baffled by mozilla's priorities...
                  Why?

This seams totally reasonable. This is a side project meant to evaluate what work needs to be done to make this feasible on the very long run.
                  While Gecko (the current engine of Firefox) is great it does not adapt well to the architectural changes of current hardware.
                  Therefore it will eventually, in the far future, be replaced by the engine Mozilla is currently working on: Servo.
                  XUL currently is rather disliked by Mozilla devs for reasons I do not know(but I am curious what they are), so Servo does not implement and can not render XUL.
                  When Firefox will eventually transition from Gecko to Servo, the timely availability of the results of this project will be invaluable because it will allow Firefox to maintain exactly the same interface but have massive, massive gains in performance.

What do you propose should have greater priority as a side project than greater flexibility and a massive boost of performance on the very long run?

P.S.: I do not expect Servo to be able to replace Gecko for at least a couple of years in the most optimistic(with sparkly stars on top) vision. There is simply a lot to implement, stuff that in Gecko was implemented in 17 years.
                  Last edited by alexvoda; 10 December 2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snarfies View Post
                    This is just part of further integrating advertising into Mozilla. They've already started down that road, so why stop now?
                    I am not sure if this is just trolling or I should actually try to explain things a bit here.

Comment

Working...
                    X