Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krita 2.9 Is Now In Beta With Many Improvements

Phoronix: Krita 2.9 Is Now In Beta With Many Improvements

KDE's Krita graphics editing / digital painting program is now in beta for its upcoming v2.9 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE's Krita?

How is it KDE's? Just because it depends on the KDE Framework? Read up. they call themselves the Krita foundation (they were a part of Ko GMBH (Calligra) which is going bankrupt I think; but the Krita foundation will continue)

Besides that... Awesome, I love Krita, it's my favorite painting application (and I am including Photoshop and Corel Painter here :P when it comes to digital painting, the 3 are all on comparable levels. Painter has the best brush engines, photoshop has the best post processing tools and krita is somewhere in between)

I really like the changes too!
    Last edited by rabcor; 15 December 2014, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      KDE's Krita?

How is it KDE's? Just because it depends on the KDE Framework? Read up. they call themselves the Krita foundation (they were a part of Ko GMBH (Calligra) which is going bankrupt I think; but the Krita foundation will continue)
      Krita is a professional FREE and open source painting program. It is made by artists that want to see affordable art tools for everyone.

What is Krita?

This is our vision for the development of Krita:

Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting, offering an end–to–end solution for creating digital painting files from scratch by masters. Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are concept art, creation of comics and textures for rendering. Modeled on existing real-world painting materials and workflows, Krita supports creative working by getting out of the way and with a snappy response.
      (emphasis added)

Add to that the fact that Krita uses KDE's git system, KDE's bug tracker, KDE's download server, and KDE's reviewboard I think it is pretty safe to say it is a KDE project.

Comment

Illustrators, Painters, and artists who use physical media will appreciate Krita much more than us Photoshop seasoned users.

The learning curve is much less than Photoshop as the Krita brushes are created to mimick actual brushed and tools in non-digital art.

If Caligra / Krita is going bankrupt why don't they just create a subscription model on Steam and force Mac / Windows users to pay $2-5/mo to use Krita or $20 / year.

Krita is by far the best Digital Painting App in existence and the best thing KDE has ever done as it's a commercial grade app.

Can't wait for Krita 2.9.

Calligra / Krita needs to be a Squeeky wheel and get some cash if they're not doing good because the world needs what they have and Photoshop isn't the answer.

Comment

The Krita Fountation

The Krita Foundation isn't going broke. It's KO GmbH that is leaving the Krita business, but the Foundation is doing quite well. We've been able to pay for a full time developer for over a year now, which really great results -- see the 2.9 beta :-).

Now that KO is getting out of the Krita business, Krita on Steam has been transfered to the Krita Foundation, which means that the Steam income will go directly to the Foundation. There's also the possibility of doing custom development work for VFX studios. We're discussing working on the animation plugin with an indie film maker, for instance. We'll also be doing a new kickstarter next year, there are some really exiciting projects we want to spend time on, like making big brushes and big documents much faster (we cracked that in principle, just have to implement it...), Python support, OSX support, animation...

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
            The Krita Foundation isn't going broke. It's KO GmbH that is leaving the Krita business, but the Foundation is doing quite well. We've been able to pay for a full time developer for over a year now, which really great results -- see the 2.9 beta :-).

Now that KO is getting out of the Krita business, Krita on Steam has been transfered to the Krita Foundation, which means that the Steam income will go directly to the Foundation. There's also the possibility of doing custom development work for VFX studios. We're discussing working on the animation plugin with an indie film maker, for instance. We'll also be doing a new kickstarter next year, there are some really exiciting projects we want to spend time on, like making big brushes and big documents much faster (we cracked that in principle, just have to implement it...), Python support, OSX support, animation...
            Fantastic news, I know many sketch artists that esteem Krita over Photoshop. Some of who have been practicing for over 20+ Years, I really appreciate that the product was crafted for the demographic and not the other way around where users adapt to a stiff and illogically designed product.

Really excited about exporting Color Pallets to some kind of json/xml file, we nearly lost a color pallet when we reinstalled eOS and it's really a big deal when creating multiple images with continuity.

What's the deal with Krita Steam anyways? We thought about getting it on our Linux but couldn't understand what incentives there were to choose it over the one in the Kubuntu Backports PPA. Does it store Color Pallets, UI Config and other user settings in the Cloud?

Keep up the great work, you guys are up there with Mozilla putting excellency and quality in Open Source.

Comment

Maybe Krita would benefit from a affiliate program with Wacom or Monoprice by making a comission for refferals from Krita.org

Monoprice has a really economical HD Tablet Screen for PCs, if we didn't buy a Cintiq for 4x the price we would have quickly picked this up:

Even 5% of $2,000 is $100 / refferal for Wacom or $25 for $500.

Comment

[QUOTE=ElectricPrism;459746]What's the deal with Krita Steam anyways? We thought about getting it on our Linux but couldn't understand what incentives there were to choose it over the one in the Kubuntu Backports PPA. Does it store Color Pallets, UI Config and other user settings in the Cloud?/QUOTE]

Basically, the steam version has a tablet/big picture mode, stores palettes and so on in the steam cloud and offers really seamless updating to new versions. It's only available for Windows, though, the OSX version of Krita is still too experimental and you wouldn't believe how tough it is to build a big, complex application with lots of deps for Steam on Linux. And since Linux users get exactly the same application if they install Krita Gemini, with updates (though without cloud integration), we didn't spend the time on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  Maybe Krita would benefit from a affiliate program with Wacom or Monoprice by making a comission for refferals from Krita.org

Monoprice has a really economical HD Tablet Screen for PCs, if we didn't buy a Cintiq for 4x the price we would have quickly picked this up:

Even 5% of $2,000 is $100 / refferal for Wacom or $25 for $500.
                  I'm already really happy we got Wacom, Huion and Yiynova to support the project with development hardware!

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
                    I'm already really happy we got Wacom, Huion and Yiynova to support the project with development hardware!
                    Thanks, I wasn't aware of either of those brands until now.

Comment

Working...
                    X