Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTFTW: A Tiling Window Manager Written In Rust

Phoronix: WTFTW: A Tiling Window Manager Written In Rust

Many Phoronix readers seem to be especially interested in Rust as a promising, next-generation programming language. There's also an abundance of Phoronix readers interested in X.Org and Linux graphics. How do they come together? Rust + X = wtftw...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly, all I get is a black screen.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      Sadly, all I get is a black screen.
      And if you would like to get it fixed, report here: https://github.com/Kintaro/wtftw/issues

Comment

I propose a renaming to the intuitive reading of the acronym: WTF Tiling Windows

Comment

Xorg :/ it would be fine to see an high customizable tilling WM for Wayland, I am complete stuck with awesome on X and will not move to Wayland before it gets something similar to awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
            Xorg :/ it would be fine to see an high customizable tilling WM for Wayland, I am complete stuck with awesome on X and will not move to Wayland before it gets something similar to awesome.
            Author of wtftw plans to implement it also as an weston plugin.
            As of now, Enlightenment has fully functional tiling mode and works under wayland.

Comment

As of now, Enlightenment has fully functional tiling mode and works under wayland.
              Tilling mode isn't the most important thing, for the most important is to program the behaviour of my WM like in awesome by editing the *lua files, well it can be other language for example Rust too, just the idea is important.

Comment

Sounds perfect

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
                  Xorg :/ it would be fine to see an high customizable tilling WM for Wayland.
                  It would be fine to see *any* software for Wayland haha. No point in having a WM working on Wayland when there are no programs that can use the WM

It will come, but we will all have died of old age first. Our kids might enjoy it though...

Comment

It will be replaced with $NEW_SHINY before it's ready, and our grand-grandkids will still fall back on X, being the only stable windowing solution still

Intergalactic remote windowing.

Comment

Working...
                    X