Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera Browser Puts Out Linux Updates For The Holidays

Phoronix: Opera Browser Puts Out Linux Updates For The Holidays

There are stable, beta, and developer updates out this week for the Linux / OS X / Windows versions of the Opera web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been having a nasty issue with both Chromium and Chrome, so I wasn't expecting Opera 26 to make any difference, but I was surprised. The bug I was experiencing does not happen with it. So I've switched to Opera for now

Comment

Google Maps

It has the same issues with Google Maps and Intel Graphics as Chrome. Browser freezes in matter of minutes, and I have to kill it. Firefox doesn't suffer from this issue, and this is maybe the only reason I still have it on my system (after I had read about guy who is working on ssl implementation, and who was suspected for implementation of a backdoor in ssl library before, and few other things that happened, I came to conclusion FF is a less capable head of the same Hydra, just maksed a bit to please those concerned about freedom, data security etc. illusions.).

Comment

Intel user here (Ivy Bridge). Not seeing Google Maps problems with either Chrome/Chromium or Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
          Intel user here (Ivy Bridge). Not seeing Google Maps problems with either Chrome/Chromium or Opera.
          Maybe the issue is only with Sandy Bridge, don't know.
          Anyway I was never able to use Google Chrome or opera with Google maps and that is the only web application where I hit the issue.
          The lock doesn't happen immediately. Sometimes it can take a minutes, sometimes just a few seconds.

Comment

This week has been a bit emotional for some of us as we learned that the company many of us worked for before, Opera, dismantled its Oslo desktop team and fired some 70 employees around the world. As you can imagine, this is a major move for the company as this is where it all started, with the desktop browser in Oslo.
            Many of our good friends around the globe lost their jobs. Our thoughts are with them all. Clearly this makes our task even more important and we will continue to work hard making the best browser available for you, our friends.
            Source: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/team...more-bugfixing

Comment

Also Ruar? ?degaard was the main (afaik) Linux dev/tester and he is gone too ( Source: http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2015/...ent-1986673763 ) :-|

Comment

/me is glad I jumped from Opera in November.

Comment

Working...
                X