Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU-Based Acceleration For PostgreSQL

Phoronix: GPU-Based Acceleration For PostgreSQL

A developer has modified the PostgreSQL database software so that it can exploit GPGPU computing for faster performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't it awesome?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GPU-Based Acceleration For PostgreSQL

A developer has modified the PostgreSQL database software so that it can exploit GPGPU computing for faster performance...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg3MTQ
    Wao! Just Wao!

Comment

This is an awesome contribution.
      I wish http://vitessedata.com would open their LLVM + PostgreSQL work, too.

Comment

Actually, this will do OpenCL based JIT. So it should completely overlap the LLVM based approach, correct? And be a significantly better solution because it is HW Accelerated, not just JIT. I am correct in thinking this way? I kind of feel bad for that startup now. :/

Comment

Great that they're using OpenCL instead of CUDA.
          Very appreciated!

Comment

GPU RAM Caching?

With OpenCL acceleration, does this allow for usage of the GPU's RAM for DB caching? RAM and I/O seem like bigger bottlenecks than compute, these days.

Comment

Would love to see this bundled up for pgxn

Couldn't find this on the extension network: pgxn.com. Would be great if the package were wrapped up nice.

Thanks for some great work here!

Comment

It will be useful in physic compute? Someone could realize a driver to take advantage from ageia physx card?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Great that they're using OpenCL instead of CUDA.
                  Very appreciated!
                  Indeed.

Does this mean that also Intel's HD4600 & co are going to work? Hopefully Beignet can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    It will be useful in physic compute? Someone could realize a driver to take advantage from ageia physx card?
                    I'm not sure the ageia cards have openCL support, let alone any linux drivers. I'm not sure if they even support CUDA. I'm afraid if you have one you're out of luck and you've got yourself something pretty much worthless. Great idea, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

I had an old 7900GT that I was hoping to use for some sort of openCL task (the core is still powerful enough for modern games at medium-low settings, but not enough VRAM) but I couldn't even find a use for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X