Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xonotic 0.8 Is Slowly Creeping Closer To Being Released

Phoronix: Xonotic 0.8 Is Slowly Creeping Closer To Being Released

There's been talk about Xonotic 1.0 plans going back years, but in reality, Xonotic 0.7 has been the current stable release for the past year and a half while Xonotic 0.8 is slowly coming together as the next version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The sad thing is that it looks like a game from 1995 and is used for benchmarking recent hardware.

Comment

3 new maps which are half ugly half nice
      1 new gun (another basic laser gun)
      and a new, weird, power up thingy.

Just this much in one and a half year of development!

Comment

Originally posted by yash View Post
        3 new maps which are half ugly half nice
        1 new gun (another basic laser gun)
        and a new, weird, power up thingy.

Just this much in one and a half year of development!
        I have to say +1
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Well, Xonotic is my favourite Quake clone, at least. Congrats to the release!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            The sad thing is that it looks like a game from 1995 and is used for benchmarking recent hardware.
            With the graphics settings all turned up to the maximum, Xonotic's graphics are almost upto par with Quake 4, despite being based off a heavily modified Quake 2 engine. The video doesn't do it justice. Granted, Quake 4 graphics are dated by today's AAA game standards but considered good for a FOSS game.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              With the graphics settings all turned up to the maximum, Xonotic's graphics are almost upto par with Quake 4, despite being based off a heavily modified Quake 2 engine. The video doesn't do it justice. Granted, Quake 4 graphics are dated by today's AAA game standards but considered good for a FOSS game.
              Quake 4 is fine, however, this image looks more like Doom 95.

Comment

Noobs flaiming here...

Xonotic is NOT in Quake family. It is completely different animal. Unreal Tournament - maybe, but NOT Quake.

Movement is completely different.
                Shot registration is also completely different - performing dragshot is nearly impossible.
                It has hook or jetpack as additional propelling methods (in addition to rocket turnjump/walljump).
                It has evasion movements.
                The world dimensions in comparsion to player are much higher.
                The excessiveness of (weird) weapons is not good thing.

And it does not support quake-style bunnyhop/45 degree accel.

I don't like it at all. Too much flash-ness, to much choice, too primitive control.
                But thats just me. Still, found nothing better than Openarena.

Comment

can't wait! thanks for team xonotic for all their hard work, and it's been worth every wait (can't complain with price of free!).

also, I think phoronix should host some games on xonotic sometime. maybe phoronix can host a server with one of those little beasts from the test farm?

btw: where's beebz?! we need vehicless!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    Noobs flaiming here...

Xonotic is NOT in Quake family. It is completely different animal. Unreal Tournament - maybe, but NOT Quake.
                    First of all they talked about the engine, and it engine is a q1 or q2 based engine. Also as far as I remember there was no speed-improvement jumps in unreal turnament, maybe I am wrong here I played more q3 then unreal tournament, but I still am pretty shure about that.

So what is here ut likemaybe the weapons that it.

Comment

Working...
                    X