No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Driver Continues Running Strong Against The GeForce Windows Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Linux Driver Continues Running Strong Against The GeForce Windows Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Linux Driver Continues Running Strong Against The GeForce Windows Driver

With last week having delivered fresh benchmarks of AMD's Catalyst Linux vs. Windows drivers (and before that an updated Intel Linux vs. Windows OpenGL comparison to end out 2014), here's some updated NVIDIA Linux vs. Windows benchmarks to compare the GeForce graphics drivers at the end of 2014. Three different graphics cards were used in benchmarking the latest NVIDIA Linux vs. Windows performance with the proprietary graphics drivers followed by also having the latest open-source NVIDIA/Nouveau driver results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In looking at how Linux performs against microsoft windows here, it's clear that Xorg can't be all that bad. So I have to ask myself, "Why is it again, that people say Xorg is hopelessly bloated and outdated?" Can wayland/weston do appreciably better?

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
      In looking at how Linux performs against microsoft windows here, it's clear that Xorg can't be all that bad. So I have to ask myself, "Why is it again, that people say Xorg is hopelessly bloated and outdated?" Can wayland/weston do appreciably better?
      xserver is "bypassed" using DRI, has no influnce on 3d performance (assuming fullscreen, no compositing).

Comment

Well not until the proprietary drivers start supporting Wayland. Nouveau as you can see from the benchmarks is so poor that it would be a complete waste of money to use it with say a high-end card like the GTX 780 or 980. It would be fine on say a GT 610 or 740 though since people stop caring with sub $100 cards like that, especially if they don't game on Linux.

Anyway, the Linux vs Windows benchmarks don't give us an accurate picture of gaming performance on Windows when OpenGL is at best an afterthought and rarely used for Windows games and Direct3D 11 and soon 12 is what needs to be benchmarked. I believe I read that, at least with Unigine, Direct3D 11 offers 10% better performance than the Windows OpenGL driver implementations on Intel GPUs, 20% better on AMD GPUs, and 30% better on Nvidia. Now judging from the last couple benchmarks, Catalyst and Nvidia may have slight OpenGL performance advantages on Linux over Windows, thus the performance advantage Direct3D 11 has over OpenGL driver implementations may be a little less on Linux than on Windows. The performance disparity will no doubt be larger once DirectX 12 is released and games begin adopting it; at that point Linux won't have anything comparable until OpenGL Next.

http://www.g-truc.net/post-0547.html

Comment

It's awesome to know that the NVidia OpenGL drivers perform better on Linux than Windows... however, how do the Linux OpenGL drivers compare to DirectX on Windows? That's what I want to know now

Comment

The high FPS numbers seem to indicate benchmarks that may be CPU-limited. If that is the case it would show that the underlying software stack (say, driver + kernel + X, etc.) is a little more efficient than Windows 7. I'm sure Windows 8.1 has closed that gap up a bit, but interesting nevertheless.

The actual OpenGL / GPU execution should be pretty much identical between platforms. I think the Linux tech offers better gaming potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              It's awesome to know that the NVidia OpenGL drivers perform better on Linux than Windows... however, how do the Linux OpenGL drivers compare to DirectX on Windows? That's what I want to know now
              Run benchmark and you will know, now

Comment

If nvidia would take linux serious, they would bring their killer panel (screenshot in post) to linux!

i have a maxwell graphics cards which supports all the fancy shit, but only on windows, so wtf!

(Shadowplay, Auto Performance Adjustment, Optimus)

Comment

performance was never the problem. especially for full screen where most of the work is running directly on card. but, for what is wrong you really want to see this presentation of Daniel Stone. although he is presenting wayland, he took different road and presented X.Org for most of the time and with that all that is wrong with it

Linux.conf.au, The real story behind Wayland and X, Wayland, XWayland, Windows, display, OS X (Operating System), GNU/Linux (Operating System)

and presentation is damn awesome to watch unlike most that are borrngly serious. and one thing more, he was one of major X.Org developers, so this is a bit different than reading some XY posting on internet

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    performance was never the problem. especially for full screen where most of the work is running directly on card. but, for what is wrong you really want to see this presentation of Daniel Stone. although he is presenting wayland, he took different road and presented X.Org for most of the time and with that all that is wrong with it

Linux.conf.au, The real story behind Wayland and X, Wayland, XWayland, Windows, display, OS X (Operating System), GNU/Linux (Operating System)

and presentation is damn awesome to watch unlike most that are borrngly serious. and one thing more, he was one of major X.Org developers, so this is a bit different than reading some XY posting on internet
                    Don't you think this video has been a bit overplayed? There are some valid points but most of it does not apply to what many people experience today.

Maybe people who have horrible experiences with X just have crappy video drivers or something? I don't know. We keep seeing this presentation over and over about how horrid and unusable and awful and crippled and fundamentally broken X.org is and how it runs on baby kitten fetus blood, etc., etc. I'm just not seeing it. The code and the protocol might be a trainwreck, and writing an actual Xserver implementation or driver might be slightly less painful than jumping off a building head-first into a thumb tack... but the user experience is nothing like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X