Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/980: Windows vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/980: Windows vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance

Earlier this week I posted some benchmarks showing NVIDIA's Linux Driver Continues Running Strong Against The Windows Driver that also included the open-source Nouveau driver results in the mix too. However, due to using the Nouveau driver, the newest GeForce GTX 970/980 graphics cards were left out of testing as the open-source driver doesn't yet fully support these newer Maxwell GPUs. In this article though we're going back to compare the Windows vs. Linux performance of these two high-end NVIDIA GPUs at a UHD 4K resolution too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia drivers are usally fine with OpenGL, with the one exeception: Killing Floor. The speed is roughly the same on all platforms and 99% of all games work. However I want to see some new features like HEVC/VP9 in vdpau, HEVC should be possible with the new 9xx cards.

Comment

900? Well, looks like it's time for them to change model numbers, again. Maybe two digits now?

Comment

Maybe just one digit, but use the alphabet instead of numbers.

I want a GTX Zti 8GB.

Comment

It shall move into codenames. Geforce Glorious Leadership XXZZ 2015 edition.

Comment

Let them just do what EA does. They release games with the same name again, so it would also be funny to see this with hardware. Let's play NFS Most Wanted with a Riva TNT, though neither one would be what most people think...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Let them just do what EA does. They release games with the same name again, so it would also be funny to see this with hardware. Let's play NFS Most Wanted with a Riva TNT, though neither one would be what most people think...
              AMD did that already; ATI had 7000 series GPUs before the HD7000 series.

Comment

I'd love to see more GTX 970/980 comparisons with more cross-platform AAA titles like Borderlands 2, Borderlands The Pre Sequel, and the Valve titles like Counter-Strike: GO, DOTA 2, Half-Life 2, Portal 1/2, Left 4 Dead 1/2, and Team Fortress 2.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
                  I'd love to see more GTX 970/980 comparisons with more cross-platform AAA titles like Borderlands 2, Borderlands The Pre Sequel, and the Valve titles like Counter-Strike: GO, DOTA 2, Half-Life 2, Portal 1/2, Left 4 Dead 1/2, and Team Fortress 2.
                  It's all limited by the games that can be fully automated in a reproducible manner.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
                    Everyone would, but it's not gonna happen without automatable benchmarks. I'd still like to see even some non-automatable benchmarks, especially now that Steam provides an FPS overlay for any of its games. I mean, it's not like we need to be religious about whether some benchmarks is automatable or not. That should be Michael's New Year's resolution: not to be religious about benchmarking!

Comment

Working...
                    X