Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDKFD Linux Driver Begins Preparing For VI Carrizo APUs

Phoronix: AMDKFD Linux Driver Begins Preparing For VI Carrizo APUs

Patches published by AMD today prepare the AMDKFD Linux kernel HSA driver for initial support of forthcoming AMD "VI" APUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"VI" APUs you say?

They said that Carrizo is about saving power, so I guess that's a lot better than those "EMACS" APUs that have a lot more bloat.

Comment

So where is the amdgpu driver?

It was supposed to be out last year. It's probably already too late to get it into the Spring distros now - we'll likely have to wait until Summer 2015, at least.

Comment

Just curious, who said it was supposed to come out last year ? I don't think we did.

Alex might have said the first bits *might* come out late 2014 but that's not the same as "supposed to"...
        Last edited by bridgman; 08 January 2015, 03:49 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

It will be there somewhere around winter 2015 , but no one clarified which one - this one or at the end of year

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            They said that Carrizo is about saving power, so I guess that's a lot better than those "EMACS" APUs that have a lot more bloat.
            Volcanic Islands! VoIla sounds better

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              It was supposed to be out last year. It's probably already too late to get it into the Spring distros now - we'll likely have to wait until Summer 2015, at least.
              I know I live for distro upgrades instead of weekly or daily updates ala Debian Sid/Experimental. Not.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Just curious, who said it was supposed to come out last year ? I don't think we did.

Alex might have said the first bits *might* come out late 2014 but that's not the same as "supposed to"...
                Well, obviously AMD didn't provide a firm ship date it would be provided, because no one EVER does that until the thing is already done these days.

But everything I heard made it sound like it was practically done already, was largely a copy of the existing driver structure with just a few tweaks added on to fix things, and would be available for others to start reviewing by the end of the year.

I'm just wondering if the fglrx devs found something they didn't like and launched a big rewrite of the thing, or what? Maybe dungeon is right and it was end of the year 2015.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 08 January 2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Maybe dungeon is right and it was end of the year 2015.
                  Maybe, but i mostly joking up there ... and i said around winter 2015. that can be also fall 2015. when you say around winter next year that is huge amount of time and basically can represent worst case scenario you can't read about anywhere on the net

Comment

The amdgpu-based stacks are being developed and released in a number of stages, so there isn't really a single date to debate.

Whatever date you have in mind (other than last year), we'll probably be releasing something around that time.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X