Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz 0.8.10 Released

Phoronix: Compiz 0.8.10 Released

Following the in-fighting over the future of Compiz that happened back in November, Scott Moreau has proclaimed the release this week of Compiz v0.8.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just Why? Why the old un-maintained 0.8.XX series? Why not fork the cleaned up and modernized C++ based 0.9.XX code base? You know, the one that doesn't crash 3 times a day like I remember the 0.8.XX series did.

Comment

Apparantly rewriting an entire application in C++ makes it stable and crash proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Edogaa View Post
        Apparantly rewriting an entire application in C++ makes it stable and crash proof.
        That wasn't my point at all. I didn't say that at all. This comment is 100% you. I don't know why you would think rewriting an entire application in C++ makes it stable and crash proof either.

The stability came due to the huge effort to fix up the code base by Spamzilla WHILE he was porting it to C++ and the efforts of testing by Canonical over the last ~3-4 years. That was the point I was making. Spamzilla ported to C++ from C because (1) He knows C++ better than C and (2) The old C base was so badly documented and messy that it wasn't worth saving, so why not convert to a code base that he understood and do a better job? At the time Spamzilla was the SOLE developer since everyone else had abandoned the project. He basically had free rein over the coding decisions. Until Canonical wanted to do Unity 7 on Compiz, Spamzilla was alone and must people on Phoronix/Community thought that Compiz was going to die.

There you go, a little history. Your welcome.

Comment

Does it work under Northfiled/Norwood?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            That wasn't my point at all. I didn't say that at all. This comment is 100% you. I don't know why you would think rewriting an entire application in C++ makes it stable and crash proof either.

The stability came due to the huge effort to fix up the code base by Spamzilla WHILE he was porting it to C++ and the efforts of testing by Canonical over the last ~3-4 years. That was the point I was making. Spamzilla ported to C++ from C because (1) He knows C++ better than C and (2) The old C base was so badly documented and messy that it wasn't worth saving, so why not convert to a code base that he understood and do a better job? At the time Spamzilla was the SOLE developer since everyone else had abandoned the project. He basically had free rein over the coding decisions. Until Canonical wanted to do Unity 7 on Compiz, Spamzilla was alone and must people on Phoronix/Community thought that Compiz was going to die.

There you go, a little history. Your welcome.
            Yeah, have to agree. smspillaz did a great job cleaning up the absolute mess of Compiz. It was really heading into a beautiful direction..... and then it just kinda halted.

the 0.8.x series was a hideous mess of instability and bugs. In fact, it will take a lot of personal testing to even consider using compiz on any production computer - it's all eye-candy with tons of bugs. I'm perfectly happy with mutter.

"compiz is fruit loops, mutter is cheerios" as stated on mutter's website. Have to agree, I don't have issues whereas compiz was at best unpolished.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
              Yeah, have to agree. smspillaz did a great job cleaning up the absolute mess of Compiz. It was really heading into a beautiful direction..... and then it just kinda halted.

the 0.8.x series was a hideous mess of instability and bugs. In fact, it will take a lot of personal testing to even consider using compiz on any production computer - it's all eye-candy with tons of bugs. I'm perfectly happy with mutter.

"compiz is fruit loops, mutter is cheerios" as stated on mutter's website. Have to agree, I don't have issues whereas compiz was at best unpolished.

Yeah..... I have no idea why the Northfield project people decided to start a new Compiz fork on the 0.8.XX series with all the issues that code base had. They could have easily forked the 0.9.XX series had a clean start to add new features too. Oh well, I don't plan on using it, I have too many bad memories of the 0.8.XX series.

Comment

FAKE

This is a fake, please look his repo here.
                Only 2 real patchs, and 9 bump patchs.

Comment

"it doesn't detail what exactly has been changed/added to this new release. "

Does ANYONE know what is the new/old features?
                  Anyone know what this is?
                  IMHO compiz is a big mess of code that actualy works with a mess of patchs...

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
                    IMHO compiz is a big mess of code that actualy works with a mess of patchs...
                    The 0.9.XX series was a clean(Spamzilla rewrite), extremely well documented(Spamzilla and Canonical efforts), and well tested (Canonical Testing Software Efforts). The 0.8.XX series is "a big mess of code that actually works with a mess of patches..."

Comment

Working...
                    X