Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Graphics Performance With The Linux 3.19 Kernel

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Graphics Performance With The Linux 3.19 Kernel

With the Linux 3.19 kernel stabilizing nicely, here's a first look at the open-source AMD Radeon graphics performance using this new kernel that will be officially released in the weeks ahead. The Linux 3.18 kernel was compared to the latest Git code of Linux 3.19 for several different AMD Radeon HD series and Rx 200 series graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hi Michael, padoka ppa maintainer here (https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...e/ubuntu/mesa/)

If you find interesting, i fixed the opencl packages in my ppa, they are kinda broken with oibafs, missing amd64 build and amdgcn support (oibafs only provides r600).

Anyway, AMD clover/opencl is working in my PPA, so feel free to fire opencl 1.1 benchmarks at will.

I would like to seize the opportunity to reiterate that has of now, my ppa is less and less a derivative of oibafs, since ive been deviating from his work and adding more cutting edge stuff to mine (LLVM 3.6, clover/opencl with amdgcn support, intel experimental modules (rendernode,create2,async-swap, dri3 is off for now), and a few well tested apps (cmplayer, transmageddon). we all stand on the shoulders of giants (oibaf)

regards

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
      hi Michael, padoka ppa maintainer here (https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...e/ubuntu/mesa/)

If you find interesting, i fixed the opencl packages in my ppa, they are kinda broken with oibafs, missing amd64 build and amdgcn support (oibafs only provides r600).

Anyway, AMD clover/opencl is working in my PPA, so feel free to fire opencl 1.1 benchmarks at will.

I would like to seize the opportunity to reiterate that has of now, my ppa is less and less a derivative of oibafs, since ive been deviating from his work and adding more cutting edge stuff to mine (LLVM 3.6, clover/opencl with amdgcn support, intel experimental modules (rendernode,create2,async-swap, dri3 is off for now), and a few well tested apps (cmplayer, transmageddon). we all stand on the shoulders of giants (oibaf)

regards
      Will try out your latest repo sometime soon, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Tom published perf-Jan-08-2015 llvm branch yesterday, include both spilling and perf improvments...

This should be first one where rendering is correct in phoronix tesseract benchmark (because of mid GI used) (fglrx vs radeon should give correct fps numbers in comparison now i guess, etc...) and performance are never better there of course unigine demos and other apps are all faster .

edit: actually my bad, some mesa fixes are also needed to see that all... i forget what i had tested

Last edited by dungeon; 09 January 2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Tom published perf-Jan-08-2015 llvm branch yesterday, include both spilling and perf improvments...

This should be first one where rendering is correct in phoronix tesseract benchmark (because of mid GI used) (fglrx vs radeon should give correct fps numbers in comparison now i guess, etc...) and performance are never better there of course unigine demos and other apps are all faster .
          is it the llvm master svn yet? do you know the svn commit number ? if it is already i might build llvm 3.6 today.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Will try out your latest repo sometime soon, thanks.
            Thanks Michael, this means you will finally start using LLVM git.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

edit: actually my bad, some mesa fixes are also needed to see that all... i forget what i had tested

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tstella...ing-Jan07-2014
              This is fucking interesting. Please benchmark ASAP. If I wasn't so much busy this month I would have done it myself.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Thanks Michael, this means you will finally start using LLVM git.
                He already did, take a look at the first page of the article (the table with the versions, see the mesa version? it says (padoka ppa), guess which ppa it is? he has been using my ppa for some time now, he even acknowledged that in a previous article. i was just pointing out to him my latest opencl work that wouldnt be immediately obvious just from a package update.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  This is fucking interesting. Please benchmark ASAP. If I wasn't so much busy this month I would have done it myself.
                  im updating my llvm snapshot in my ppa with todays llvm,should be ready in a few hours (llvm framework is a monster to compile).

Comment

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tstella...ing-Jan07-2014
                    just saw the commits, they are 48 hours old, should be in mesa master soon. once they hit, my mesa compilation will kick in. at least llvm will be ready (compiling it now).

Comment

Working...
                    X