Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 5 Feature Development Is Over With A Focus Now On Bug-Fixing

Phoronix: GCC 5 Feature Development Is Over With A Focus Now On Bug-Fixing

GCC 5.0 feature development is now over so it's time to start concentrating on fixing bugs for this huge compiler update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GCC5 vs LLVM/CLang

Any good pointers to how GCC differs from LLVM/Clang. Something that is written from a technical, although non-compiler guru perspective? Something that compares the two compilers in terms of their licenses, software philosophy, development philosophy as well performance along the metrics of code size and speed etc. Article that can inform users as why choose a particular breed of compiler?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by randomdabbler View Post
      Any good pointers to how GCC differs from LLVM/Clang. Something that is written from a technical, although non-compiler guru perspective? Something that compares the two compilers in terms of their licenses, software philosophy, development philosophy as well performance along the metrics of code size and speed etc. Article that can inform users as why choose a particular breed of compiler?

Thanks.
      Yeah, that would be a good article. It would have to be well written.

I do kinda like Clang, but it craps out way more than GCC. But, this is coming from the perspective of a gentoo user where everything gets compiled. It that case GCC wins for it's superb compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by randomdabbler View Post

Thanks.
        Unlike LLVM, GCC doesn't have a "virtual machine" which means it operates directly on bytes and numbers that are internally "loosely typed", meaning 1+1 = 11, this makes the compiler ideal for areas where precision is less important or not at all, like in the military or medicine.

Comment

On the other hand, it'll probably be a little while before GCC5 is able to handle compiling an entire gentoo system all by itself. I remember it took GCC4 way too long to come together.

EDIT: and GCC3 was an actual nightmare. I was stuck on 2.95 for a long time.

Comment

I think it will take ~1 year before going stable.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Unlike LLVM, GCC doesn't have a "virtual machine" which means it operates directly on bytes and numbers that are internally "loosely typed", meaning 1+1 = 11, this makes the compiler ideal for areas where precision is less important or not at all, like in the military or medicine.
              What you say is a complete nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
                What you say is a complete nonsense.
                Try harder Sherlock, or buy yourself some sense of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  On the other hand, it'll probably be a little while before GCC5 is able to handle compiling an entire gentoo system all by itself. I remember it took GCC4 way too long to come together.

EDIT: and GCC3 was an actual nightmare. I was stuck on 2.95 for a long time.
                  I was under the impression 5 is not a big jump like 3 and 4, but merely "version number too big" like the kernel did with 3.0?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    I was under the impression 5 is not a big jump like 3 and 4, but merely "version number too big" like the kernel did with 3.0?
                    actually both things, a lot of features coincided with number being too big (4.9)

Comment

Working...
                    X