Xfce Spin Of Linux Mint 17.1 Released With Out-Of-The-Box Compiz Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce Spin Of Linux Mint 17.1 Released With Out-Of-The-Box Compiz Support

Phoronix: Xfce Spin Of Linux Mint 17.1 Released With Out-Of-The-Box Compiz Support

Days after the release of the KDE spin of Linux Mint 17.1 and more than one month since the MATE and Cinnamon Linux Mint 17.1 spins debuted, the group of Linux Mint 17.1 releases has ended with the availability of the Xfce version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mint needs to die. It served it's purpose in the dark days of Ubuntu unity but now is simply a me too distro.

All the official Ubuntu derivatives are simply better. The devs are wasting their efforts. Hell even Ubuntu Gnome is an official distro now which means Ubuntu will be a wayland/mir/x distro with plenty of DE maintainers. Installing Mint over Ubuntu is a bad idea in every way possible.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      Mint needs to die. It served it's purpose in the dark days of Ubuntu unity but now is simply a me too distro.

All the official Ubuntu derivatives are simply better. The devs are wasting their efforts. Hell even Ubuntu Gnome is an official distro now which means Ubuntu will be a wayland/mir/x distro with plenty of DE maintainers. Installing Mint over Ubuntu is a bad idea in every way possible.
      It's my opinion that installing Ubuntu in any situation is a bad idea. Opinions vary, so people should be allowed to do what they what to do, no matter how bad an idea it might be.

The more Canonical duplicates effort, the more it screws everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        It's my opinion that installing Ubuntu in any situation is a bad idea. Opinions vary, so people should be allowed to do what they what to do, no matter how bad an idea it might be.

The more Canonical duplicates effort, the more it screws everyone.
        Why are you even posting here if you hate Ubuntu? And therefore hate Mint. Having options are one thing, and always good. But duplication of effort such as is the case with Mint is counterproductive. No I'm not saying lulz everyone should use Ubuntu. Arch is great, Opensuse is great, PCLinuxOS is great and all contribute to diversity. What exactly is Mint contributing to the opensource community after making Cinnamon?

Look at the difference in packages between mint 16 and mint 17. Then look at the latest versions of the packages.
        Then look at the packages for Ubuntu 12.10. Then Opensuse 13.2. Fedora 21. Manjaro stable....etc.

There is very little difference between Mint17 and Ubuntu 14.04.
        Stability? Mint is no more stable than Ubuntu.
        DE's? Even Cinnamon is easily installable in Ubuntu.

Mint is behind on EVERYTHING.

Comment

Why are you even posting here if you hate Ubuntu? And therefore hate Mint. Having options are one thing, and always good. But duplication of effort such as is the case with Mint is counterproductive. No I'm not saying lulz everyone should use Ubuntu. Arch is great, Opensuse is great, PCLinuxOS is great and all contribute to diversity. What exactly is Mint contributing to the opensource community after making Cinnamon?

Look at the difference in packages between mint 16 and mint 17. Then look at the latest versions of the packages.
          Then look at the packages for Ubuntu 12.10. Then Opensuse 13.2. Fedora 21. Manjaro stable....etc.

There is very little difference between Mint17 and Ubuntu 14.04.
          Stability? Mint is no more stable than Ubuntu.
          DE's? Even Cinnamon is easily installable in Ubuntu.

Mint is behind on EVERYTHING.
          My only point is that none of that matter. People can do what they want to do. That's the nice thing about it. Yeah, I freakin hate Canonical, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't use Ubuntu. Same thing with you, You clearly don't like mint, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't use it.

Comment

My only point is that none of that matter. People can do what they want to do. That's the nice thing about it. Yeah, I freakin hate Canonical, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't use Ubuntu. Same thing with you, You clearly don't like mint, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't use it.
            I'm just questioning it's purpose other than a distro for people that hate Cannonical...but are still essentially using Ubuntu 6 months out of date.
            Ubuntu has re-embraced diversity with many non unity supported DE's available with seemingly better maintainers.

The only reason Mint got a bunch of market share in the first place was Cannonical cutting everyone off trying to ram Unity 1.0 down everyone's gullets. Now that Ubuntu openly supports alternate DE's I really don't see where another DE based off Ubuntu that leaves practically everything stock fits in.

My POV is I want Linux in general to succeed Windows eventually, and having such a popular DE that simply reskins 6 month old Ubuntu and calls it revolutionary without actually doing much of anything does the community at large a disservice by fragmenting user base. It undermines the economic stability of Distro's that actually move the ball forward. An analogy would be like having 1/2 your team doing nothing on the court.

Comment

I'm just questioning it's purpose other than a distro for people that hate Cannonical...but are still essentially using Ubuntu 6 months out of date.
              Ubuntu has re-embraced diversity with many non unity supported DE's available with seemingly better maintainers.

The only reason Mint got a bunch of market share in the first place was Cannonical cutting everyone off trying to ram Unity 1.0 down everyone's gullets. Now that Ubuntu openly supports alternate DE's I really don't see where another DE based off Ubuntu that leaves practically everything stock fits in.

My POV is I want Linux in general to succeed Windows eventually, and having such a popular DE that simply reskins 6 month old Ubuntu and calls it revolutionary without actually doing much of anything does the community at large a disservice by fragmenting user base. It undermines the economic stability of Distro's that actually move the ball forward. An analogy would be like having 1/2 your team doing nothing on the court.
              I aplogize if there was a misunderstanding. I suppose I didn't mention that I don't use mint. I hate Canonical for a reason. I would never use anything they ever created. Unfortunately that excludes mint. But, my point is that shouldn't mean that other people can't do what they want.

btw, gentoo user here.

Comment

I aplogize if there was a misunderstanding. I suppose I didn't mention that I don't use mint. I hate Canonical for a reason. I would never use anything they ever created. Unfortunately that excludes mint. But, my point is that shouldn't mean that other people can't do what they want.

btw, gentoo user here.
                I don't have any particular hatred for Cannonical. I did for a while when they screwed everyone over ala Unity 1.0. But since then Unity has been making steady progress and Unity 8 might actually be a pretty good desktop if they address people's wants/needs.

As far as LP & systemD goes I am 100% behind his goals of unification and standardization. It's the only way Linux as a whole can be stable enough to attract mainstream adoption.

For the record I am distro agnostic. My main is Opensuse Tumbleweed /w KDE/Catalyst Omega/Linux 3.18/Firefox/Wine/Exaile(Music)/VLC/Tixati.
                All this talk about Distro diversity being good is actually terrible. Diversity should be within the main distributions that actually build from source. At least untill Linux is popular enough to support vanity distro's.

Comment

I don't have any particular hatred for Cannonical. I did for a while when they screwed everyone over ala Unity 1.0. But since then Unity has been making steady progress and Unity 8 might actually be a pretty good desktop if they address people's wants/needs.

As far as LP & systemD goes I am 100% behind his goals of unification and standardization. It's the only way Linux as a whole can be stable enough to attract mainstream adoption.

For the record I am distro agnostic. My main is Opensuse Tumbleweed /w KDE/Catalyst Omega/Linux 3.18/Firefox/Wine/Exaile(Music)/VLC/Tixati.
                  All this talk about Distro diversity being good is actually terrible. Diversity should be within the main distributions that actually build from source. At least untill Linux is popular enough to support vanity distro's.
                  I do understand where you're coming from. I do agree with you in some ways, but in other ways I disagree.

This is just an analogy, something I consider similar to this situation. Hard drives are cheap. It doesn't matter how big operating systems get. It doesn't matter how big applications are. Hell, there's more than enough storage available, so use it up right? Wrong. Absolutely wrong. In my opinion anyway.

And that's the point. I should be able to use whatever I want to use. If I want an OS that tries to cover all bases, I can. If I want to choose the thinnest OS possible, I can. I shouldn't be forced into some bloatware that doesn't work. Unless if I want it.

Comment

What exactly is Mint contributing to the opensource community after making Cinnamon?
                    So Cinnamon isnt good enough for them to have their own distro? (not really a distro)

For the rest I would agree, things like XFCE Mint and Xubuntu should be chopped. You install more GUI packages and maintain whole thing as a spin? Completely ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                    X