My Next Linux Ultrabook: Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon With Core i7-5600U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Next Linux Ultrabook: Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon With Core i7-5600U

Phoronix: My Next Linux Ultrabook: Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon With Core i7-5600U

As a follow-up to my post from this weekend about plans to get a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Broadwell ultrabook for Linux testing, I've now finalized in my decision and have some more thoughts to share for any Linux users planning to soon get an Intel Broadwell laptop/ultrabook for your favorite open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good luck with that clunkpad...

Comment

Is that one of those thinkpads that requires the boot image to be renamed?

I remember a batch of Windows 8/ UEFI Thinkpads that were hardcoded in the firmware to refuse to boot any UEFI image not named either Windows or RHEL. If yours has that issue, rename the Linux boot image to exactly match that used by Red Hat Enterprise Linux and you have them beat

Comment

I will probably buy this or the XPS 13, so your impressions will be crucial in my choice. Let's hope it will have decent linux support.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Dual core?!

I still remember when core i5 had 4 cores, now not even i7 has them...

Comment

I don't know but $1750 for a laptop with only 128 GB storage doesn't seem all that great to me.

I can spec out a custom 13" Macbook Air with a Haswell dc i7, 8GB RAM, and 512GB PCIe-based SSD for the same price and many of us think Apple is overpriced.

I don't know about you but if I were buying a PC, I'd also look at value as well. For instance you could get a Toshiba S55 customed specced with a quad-core i7-4710HQ, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 display for $1000.

Comment

Any reason for not considering/choosing System76? Built from the ground up for Linux and tons of options for customization.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                I remember a batch of Windows 8/ UEFI Thinkpads that were hardcoded in the firmware to refuse to boot any UEFI image not named either Windows or RHEL. If yours has that issue, rename the Linux boot image to exactly match that used by Red Hat Enterprise Linux and you have them beat
                I have T430s. No problems with UEFI what so ever.

Comment

I don't know but $1750
                  I personally won't pay more than 800? for a Notebook/Ultrabook.

Comment

WHY DO PEOPLE BUY THIS? NO DEDICATED GRAPHICS? 1800$?!

Check this out:
                    Custom build your next gaming computer, laptop, or notebook from our extensive selection and finance options. Take your gaming to the next level with XOTIC PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X