Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 22 Will Aim To Use Plasma 5 For Its KDE Desktop Experience

Phoronix: Fedora 22 Will Aim To Use Plasma 5 For Its KDE Desktop Experience

For KDE users on Fedora, the Fedora 22 release is seeking to focus on the still-maturing Plasma 5 shell that's powered by KDE Frameworks 5 and Qt5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's to hope Grasslin et al can port most if not all of Plasma and KWin to Wayland in time for F23... It'd be sweet to have a working/usable F23 with Plasma entirely on Wayland.. It's a long shot probably, but hey, one can always hope .

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
      Here's to hope Grasslin et al can port most if not all of Plasma and KWin to Wayland in time for F23... It'd be sweet to have a working/usable F23 with Plasma entirely on Wayland.. It's a long shot probably, but hey, one can always hope .
      also porting SDDM to Wayland or at least that it can start wayland sessions would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
        also porting SDDM to Wayland or at least that it can start wayland sessions would be nice.
        There has been some work on porting SDDM to Wayland. I don't know how and if it works at all, but you can check it out if you like.

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
          There has been some work on porting SDDM to Wayland. I don't know how and if it works at all, but you can check it out if you like.

https://github.com/plfiorini/sddm/tree/wayland
          Last commit 27 Apr 2014. Great.

In the meantime I switched to GDM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Last commit 27 Apr 2014. Great.

In the meantime I switched to GDM.
            GDM, at least in Fedora 21 doesn't run in Wayland. It starts a Wayland session, but it runs in X11. In Fedora 22 it might run under Wayland.
            Here you are the quotation:
            An important milestone hoped for with Fedora 22 is to use Wayland for the log-in screen. Using Wayland for GNOME's log-in screen on Fedora should weed out a lot of bugs and expose Wayland to new driver/hardware scenarios.
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So yeah, at the moment both SDDM and GDM don't have support for running in Wayland out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
              GDM, at least in Fedora 21 doesn't run in Wayland. It starts a Wayland session, but it runs in X11. In Fedora 22 it might run under Wayland.

So yeah, at the moment both SDDM and GDM don't have support for running in Wayland out of the box.
              I know that but at least it can launch Wayland sessions.
              Assholes like Aaron Seigo made a big fuss how bad LightDM is because of its Canonical connection and bullied the rest to adopt SDDM and then wrote a staggering 45 lines over two days for SDDM.

Comment

Working...
              X