Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivaldi: A New Chromium-Powered, Multi-Platform Browser

Phoronix: Vivaldi: A New Chromium-Powered, Multi-Platform Browser

Making waves this morning on the Internet is the announcement of Vivaldi, a new web-browser started by the former CEO of Opera. Vivaldi is currently supported by Linux, Windows, and OS X systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please not another proprietary web browser.
    We don't need another proprietary web browser.

The web is to be open.
    Opera and their asshole CEO just forking open source projects to make dumb proprietary web browsers and give nothing back.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Please not another proprietary web browser.
      We don't need another proprietary web browser.

The web is to be open.
      Opera and their asshole CEO just forking open source projects to make dumb proprietary web browsers and give nothing back.
      you dont have to use it.. why care?

i think the more the better... will test it out.. but im happy so far with the Opera currently

Comment

It?s closed-source, so who cares? Should have been mentionned in the article.

Comment

That's exactly why I don't like licenses that don't have copyleft clauses.

Comment

Me.

If any of you don't care about closed-source software OK. Is your choice but many other care. We have more software and more choices.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
              you dont have to use it.. why care?

i think the more the better... will test it out.. but im happy so far with the Opera currently
              He has a blind hate for anything closed-source regardless of...:
              * how little it has any impact on him
              * how much potential the software could have of benefiting the FOSS community
              * any reasons as to why it is closed source (such as games, where the creators don't want their hard work redistributed for free)
              * how much better it may be compared to a FOSS variant (even if the closed-source software is free)

I'm not saying Vivaldi matches any of these criteria, I'm just stating this is noticeable whenever there is any closed-source project mentioned on Phoronix.

Comment

same release day for win/mac/linux
                rpm build available

2 things it already has above opera, gone give it a go tonight I think

Comment

My first thought was: *is it open source?* and it seems it's not. Another worthless software.

Comment

I had about 10 seconds of excitment

when I first read about this on another website earlier this morning, then I realized this is just another slightly altered Chromium browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X