Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland/Weston 1.7 Release Candidate

Phoronix: Wayland/Weston 1.7 Release Candidate

Bryce Harrington tagged the release candidates for the forthcoming Wayland 1.7 and Weston 1.7 versions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME Classic on Wayland

I want GNOME Classic on Wayland...

Comment

Does the people using ubuntu will be abble to run KDE using the wayland protocol? Will have to use ppa or backports from Kubuntu to get wayland? or we will have to run xmir and kde x11? When Kwin will be ready for wayland? Is just vaporware from x11 devs and newones to not feel inferior to Cannonical developing his own server protocol? Will someone use mir or wayland someday? For me is just delusion.

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
        Does the people using ubuntu will be abble to run KDE using the wayland protocol? Will have to use ppa or backports from Kubuntu to get wayland? or we will have to run xmir and kde x11? When Kwin will be ready for wayland? Is just vaporware from x11 devs and newones to not feel inferior to Cannonical developing his own server protocol? Will someone use mir or wayland someday? For me is just delusion.
        If KDE gains a Wayland Compositor like Gnomes Mutter you only need the wayland libs (about 500 kb) on your system. Ubuntu has them since forever, because they are packaged by Debian.

Comment

Does the people using ubuntu will be abble to run KDE using the wayland protocol? Will have to use ppa or backports from Kubuntu to get wayland? or we will have to run xmir and kde x11?
          Yes you should be able to run Wayland desktops on Ubuntu as long as they are packaged there.

When Kwin will be ready for wayland?
          That is quite hard to say. KDE/Kwin devs are/were busy porting apps to the KF5/Qt5 frameworks, which is a big stepping stone to support Wayland.

Is just vaporware from x11 devs and newones to not feel inferior to Cannonical developing his own server protocol?
          It's far from being vaporware as most of the Wayland protocol is ready today. Basically what is left to complete today is xdg-shell, libinput and maybe some bits to allow screen/input capture in secure ways.
          I can't see how they would feel "inferior" to Canonical because of Mir. Mir on desktop is really far to be usable and years behind Wayland. They just figured out how to do rootless X on Mir and have yet to do all the Window and input management parts which represent a huge chunk of the work.

GNOME >=3.14 on Wayland is almost ready to use on a daily basis while Unity 8 is a bugged unuseable half-tablet-half-desktop Frankenstein desktop.

Will someone use mir or wayland someday?
          Wayland is already used on Sailfish OS phones and in cars with the IVI shell.

For me is just delusion.
          I guess you don't realise how much work was put and still has to be put to allow Linux to enter a post-X11 world. It's not only about changing the display server but also a lot of work had and still has to be done elsewhere prior to that (Kernel Mode-Setting, GBM/GEM, consolekit/logind, Glamor...).
          So sure things won't change overnight, and personally I'm impressed that GNOME is already almost useable on Wayland considering that most of Linux GUI revolved only around Xorg for so many decades.

Comment

You can run KDE under Wayland right now, you just have to daisy chain Kwin on Weston, where Weston is the system compositor.

Comment

Samsung

Samsung is probably the only company in the world with enough muscle to make a viable competitor to Android and iOS. I hope they succeed ($$$) and contribute back to OSS and desktop Linux as much as they will for mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                You can run KDE under Wayland right now, you just have to daisy chain Kwin on Weston, where Weston is the system compositor.
                Do you know of any tutorial that I can use to try this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                  Do you know of any tutorial that I can use to try this?
                  I only know its possible from this outdated blog post by Martin. It probably still works, but there might be an easier way now. I just googled it and found nothing better on the first page.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    I only know its possible from this outdated blog post by Martin. It probably still works, but there might be an easier way now. I just googled it and found nothing better on the first page.
                    Thanks Zanny, will have a look at it later

Comment

Working...
                    X