Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D's Direct3D 9 Support Is Coming Along Well

Phoronix: Gallium3D's Direct3D 9 Support Is Coming Along Well

Last weekend at FOSDEM 2015 there was a status update concerning Gallium3D Nine, the Direct3D 9 state tracker that runs Windows games in conjunction with Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool.

Things just keep getting better. I never thought I'd live to see the day that a working hardware accelerated dx9 implementation would happen. I'm highly impressed. So glad MS is losing it's monopoly powers. Little by little as compatibility continues to improve.

EDIT: You'd think the wine devs would like to help support the downfall, but apparently not. Unfortunately.

Comment

Can Wine-Staging accept code that the upstream devs have rejected for mainlining? I thought it was run by the same people.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Cool.

Things just keep getting better. I never thought I'd live to see the day that a working hardware accelerated dx9 implementation would happen. I'm highly impressed. So glad MS is losing it's monopoly powers. Little by little as compatibility continues to improve.

EDIT: You'd think the wine devs would like to help support the downfall, but apparently not. Unfortunately.
        Downfall?? Wine development is primarily supported by Codeweavers and they are far more interested in serving actual customer needs which has nothing to do with downfall of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Can Wine-Staging accept code that the upstream devs have rejected for mainlining? I thought it was run by the same people.
          Staging often contains code which is not yet in a shape that can be in mainline. Kernel staging tree works in a similar fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            Downfall?? Wine development is primarily supported by Codeweavers and they are far more interested in serving actual customer needs which has nothing to do with downfall of anything.
            The problem is that wine developers don't see wine users as "actual customers".

Until that gets fixed we're just gonna have to live with differing opinions I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Staging often contains code which is not yet in a shape that can be in mainline. Kernel staging tree works in a similar fashion.
              Staging implies it is being prepared for eventually being added into mainline, and AFAIU, this code has been rejected by upstream by design with them saying they will never accept it mainline because it's not something the proprietary drivers work with.

Not that i'm complaining - if they can stick it into staging, that'd be great.

Comment

I guess Red Hat should made D3D compositor called Wimor now

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  The problem is that wine developers don't see wine users as "actual customers".

Until that gets fixed we're just gonna have to live with differing opinions I guess.
                  Wine users aren't all customers. Some of them actual pay a company for software based on Wine and since many of the Wine developers work for said company, it is natural for them to focus on what the customers pay for. The "fix" would be for more wine users to pay for it or develop patches themselves. Opinions, especially looking for "downfall" are going nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Staging implies it is being prepared for eventually being added into mainline, and AFAIU, this code has been rejected by upstream by design with them saying they will never accept it mainline because it's not something the proprietary drivers work with.

Not that i'm complaining - if they can stick it into staging, that'd be great.

That is not how staging works in either Wine or Linux kernel. Some code can go in staging and then reworked to be merged. Some of them gets dropped after sometime because noone stepped up do the review work etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X