9-Way Linux Laptop Performance Comparison From Intel Nehalem To Broadwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-Way Linux Laptop Performance Comparison From Intel Nehalem To Broadwell

Phoronix: 9-Way Linux Laptop Performance Comparison From Intel Nehalem To Broadwell

As the latest Linux benchmark numbers to deliver for Intel Broadwell and the new ThinkPad X1 Carbon ultrabook, here's a nine-way Linux laptop/ultrabook comparison. All nine devices in this article were tested against the latest snapshot of Ubuntu 15.04 while running a big set of benchmarks and also monitoring the CPU temperatures and battery power consumption while testing for a nice look at Clarksfield/Nehalem, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell mobile hardware on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Going to end up doubling the size of my office and LinuxBenchmarking.com server room in the next few weeks... Started finishing off my basement, in the middle of taking down the drop ceiling and walls and then soon as get my next PTS customer payment going to add in two or three extra circuits down there for enough power and drywall it up, etc, for running a number of more systems.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@Michael

I suggest clarify various i5 an i7u cpu specs, this cpu are dual core + ht not quad core

For Example

Thanks
        Last edited by pinguinpc; 07 February 2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
          @Michael

I suggest clarify various i5 an i7u cpu specs, this cpu are dual core + ht not quad core
          Yes, people can easily look it up. Intel ARK is great.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael,

In the future when you do another session with laptops, for the CPU-specific tests I think it would be more interesting to set the maximum clock of each CPU to the slowest CPU. This is fairly easy to accomplish on intel laptop hardware and would give very clear results. As of right now, the useful results in theses tests are PPW and GPU, since those should scale very nicely and show the true progress in intel's hardware.

Comment

Thanks Michael, those perf per watt tests were really interesting.

One of the things that surprises me is that the power consumption of the CPU relative the rest of the system has been steadily dropping over the past few years, but Broadwell still does so outstandingly well.

From a desktop point of view Broadwell is pretty meh, but for laptops it looks very impressive indeed.

Comment

$

I would love to see a "Performance per Dollar" in these results. In which categories its better to spend money in.

Comment

Originally posted by Phexe View Post
                  I would love to see a "Performance per Dollar" in these results. In which categories its better to spend money in.
                  Would this be a naive performance per dollar taking into account only hardware price or performance per dollar with performance per watt combined with estimate of price of electricity?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Would this be a naive performance per dollar taking into account only hardware price or performance per dollar with performance per watt combined with estimate of price of electricity?
                    No basically just to show Mac's are horribly overpriced.

Comment

Working...
                    X