Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo ThinkPad T430s Ported To Coreboot

Phoronix: Lenovo ThinkPad T430s Ported To Coreboot

The Lenovo ThinkPad T430s is now the latest laptop to be running atop Coreboot as an alternative to its proprietary UEFI/BIOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks to Intel Boot Guard there will be no coreboot support for any current/future laptop, period.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I wish Google would ship a successor to the Chromebook Pixerl, albeit at a better price with Coreboot.
      Then let its users install Fedora or Ubuntu on it.

Comment

It's very disappointing to see Coreboot focused on Chromebooks and Lenovo. Especially on Lenovo. Some people think ThinkPads still have some of IBM legacy goodness in them but they don't. It's Chinese crap through and through these days and the quality is abysmal even for Chinese crap.

What about something actually good like Fujitsu Lifebooks?
        Last edited by prodigy_; 08 February 2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no other brand with consistent build quality like the Thinkpads. There might be single models from HP or some other brands which come close to or is comparable to the Thinkpads, but generally speaking very few models come close to the Thinkpad T-series and X-series, which are very safe choices for the professional market. Given the solid build quality, many of us can pick up cheap used Thinkpads which may last for many years, instead of buying new lower quality models. I wish there was someone challenging Thinkpads on build quality. Don't bring up Apple, they are nowhere near that level.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
            It's very disappointing to see Coreboot focused on Chromebooks and Lenovo. Especially on Lenovo. Some people think ThinkPads still have some of IBM legacy goodness in them but they don't. It's Chinese crap through and through these days and the quality is abysmal even for Chinese crap.

What about something actually good like Fujitsu Lifebooks?
            I wonder if Dell would be interested in putting coreboot on Sputnik computers. This latest XPS 13 is insanely good and I'd definitely be all over it like a greasy spoon if it got an open bootloader instead of EFI shovelware. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, they have not done that much good for Linux and free software. I think they are paying a dev or two in Linux though, thats always nice.

That is also something system76 could invest in to make me buy their stuff more. If their whole line of pcs were all running coreboot, that would be a game changer. I don't think they have the volume to pressure their vendors into budging like Dell would, though.

Comment

I am a fan of Thinkpad and own 2 of them: (original) IBM Thinkpad T42 and a Lenovo SL510. The SL510 is a Lenovo product but the design's most likely been influenced by IBM's original designs for their line long before the Thinkpad line was sold off to Lenovo. Many of IBM's Thinkpads were actually manufactured by Lenovo long before the sale.

Would be nice if Coreboot were ported to the T42...this is one heck of a little machine that's stood the test of time.

Comment

IMO, I think Coreboot is useful for some things, but I did not like it when Chromebooks used it because using different firmware for different OSes defeats the purpose of firmware standards. I think it is possible to run UEFI as a payload in coreboot, and I think pgeorgi just got it working in qemu.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                  consistent build quality
                  ^This was true 15 years ago. You need to quit living in the past. Lenovo's ThinkPads are garbage and the only consistent thing about them is that they're consistently getting worse every year.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    ^This was true 15 years ago. You need to quit living in the past. Lenovo's ThinkPads are garbage and the only consistent thing about them is that they're consistently getting worse every year.
                    Actually, they just reversed some of the keyboard changes in the new ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X