Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDPAU API H.265 / HEVC Decoding Lands In Mainline

Phoronix: VDPAU API H.265 / HEVC Decoding Lands In Mainline

NVIDIA today finally mainlined their Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (VDPAU) support for handling video decode of H.265 / HEVC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: VDPAU API H.265 / HEVC Decoding Lands In Mainline

With NVIDIA's binary Linux blob, the GeForce GTX 900 series graphics cards are needed for handling hardware-accelerated H.265 video decoding.
    We've been having video cards that can be programmed by CUDA, OpenCL, Stream etc. for a very-very long time. In theory any of these GPUs could accelerate any codecs if someone wrote the code for them. However, that won't motivate people to keep buying new hardware... I guess only non-profit organizations should be allowed to build hardware and software...

Comment

I really like that patch, it is more or less what I expected. Would like to see some cheaper HTPC cards with Maxwell 2.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        We've been having video cards that can be programmed by CUDA, OpenCL, Stream etc. for a very-very long time. In theory any of these GPUs could accelerate any codecs if someone wrote the code for them. However, that won't motivate people to keep buying new hardware... I guess only non-profit organizations should be allowed to build hardware and software...
        The thing is that these cards have the codecs implemented in hardware, so it's much power efficient to use that part of the chip than to play the video using software... even when that software is running on the GPU.

Comment

I wonder, what of the 750ti /maxwell 1 that were said to have partial accel?

Comment

And of course it ONLY supports the newest most bleeding edge 9xx cards on the market. Like we're all suppose to believe that these new cards are the only ones capable of this. I have a GTX760 sitting unopened in a box that just came in the mail today, a $350+ dollar card. I didn't buy the 900 series because of the whole 4g-card-with-512-mb-slow-ram fiasco that recently came out.

Oh nvidia, you just warm my heart.

Comment

Maybe they could support HEVC Main profile (8 bit) as it is a bit similar to H264. The same Intel wants to support with Haswell. Should be enough for user generated content but not for 4k TV stations/bluray.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
                The thing is that these cards have the codecs implemented in hardware, so it's much power efficient to use that part of the chip than to play the video using software... even when that software is running on the GPU.
                Yes, when it runs with the dedicated circuit, playing back the movie will be 0.5% GPU usage. If it was programmed for generic computing circuits, it would be 10% GPU usage. Would it be useful? It would even if it was 100% GPU usage.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Yes, when it runs with the dedicated circuit, playing back the movie will be 0.5% GPU usage. If it was programmed for generic computing circuits, it would be 10% GPU usage. Would it be useful? It would even if it was 100% GPU usage.
                  They are working on this for the OSS Radeon drivers, so that people with older hardware will be able to use the 3D engine to handle unsupported codecs http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

Comment

@ParticleBoard

If you paid 350$ for a GTX 760 then you must be very stupid. The old GTX 760 and the new GTX 960 have basically the same price and you get a GTX 960 for around 200 USD. As it supports only 2 GB VRAM there is no marketing bug in the specs. I would not consider the above 3.5 GB VRAM bug of the GTX 970 so critical for current games as you already could see lots of benchmarks, those would be always the same - if you know the internal specs or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X