Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdgeBSD Still Progressing As A Forked NetBSD Powered By Git

Phoronix: EdgeBSD Still Progressing As A Forked NetBSD Powered By Git

EdgeBSD remains one of the newer BSD distributions that is a fork of NetBSD but switches from CSV to Git for source code management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When i hear people still are using svn i laugh.
    When i hear people are still using csv im horrified.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
      When i hear people still are using svn i laugh.
      When i hear people are still using csv im horrified.
      This is SPARTA^W BSD!

Comment

NetBSD should just migrate over to Git.
        Then NetBSD and EdgeBSD should just merge.

Comment

NetBSD can not switch to git because it is still broken. If don't need the complete history of your project use git.

Comment

Remember back in the day when BSD fans claimed that it was so much better than Linux because it would never be fragmented?

Comment

I would also be mortified if a major operating system used comma-separated values for source code management.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                Remember back in the day when BSD fans claimed that it was so much better than Linux because it would never be fragmented?
                To be fair to them, the point of this is not to have YetAnotherBSD, according to their website https://edgebsd.org/ this is basically NetBSD-staging, R&D goes on here and then changes can get pushed upstream into NetBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddenmaverick View Post
                  I would also be mortified if a major operating system used comma-separated values for source code management.
                  I stand corrected. I always mix them up :\

Comment

Originally posted by beast View Post
                    NetBSD can not switch to git because it is still broken. If don't need the complete history of your project use git.
                    What is broken? Git or NetBSD or what?

There are probably migration scripts to migrate from SVN to Git and preserve the commit history.
                    If not, such a script could probably be written.

Comment

Working...
                    X