Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL_AMD_pinned_memory Comes To The Open-Source Radeon Driver

Phoronix: GL_AMD_pinned_memory Comes To The Open-Source Radeon Driver

Marek Ol??k has implemented support for the GL_AMD_pinned_memory extension within Mesa/Gallium3D and the R600g and RadeonSI Gallium3D drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Essential along with the extension non-AMD specific analog for high performance OGL.

Comment

The link / explanation was nice. So at least I have a clue now what this is dealing with. A welcome addition.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Finally! But i thought userptr is intel specific? Does it mean it does not work on AMD systems?
        What an irony since one of AMD's APU advantages is HSA. . .

Does anybody know more?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          Finally! But i thought userptr is intel specific? Does it mean it does not work on AMD systems?
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
          Test signature

Comment

It's pretty neat how an extension like this can be implemented using the existing buffer object entrypoints adding only a single new binding point enum.

Comment

Does anybody know more?
              The userptr ioctls in both the radeon and intel kernel drivers just allow you to request user pages be pinned temporarily for DMA. HSA allows the GPU to access unpinned pages directly without the requirement to pin them prior to DMA access. As such you can access pageable memory directly with the help of new features in the IOMMU.

Comment

Does anybody know more?
                It was added awhile ago
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  The userptr ioctls in both the radeon and intel kernel drivers just allow you to request user pages be pinned temporarily for DMA. HSA allows the GPU to access unpinned pages directly without the requirement to pin them prior to DMA access. As such you can access pageable memory directly with the help of new features in the IOMMU.
                  This answer gets an extra like!

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    Swap storming on the GPU! ... I kid I kid.

Comment

Working...
                    X