Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylake Core M Chips To Start Shipping In H2'2015

Phoronix: Skylake Core M Chips To Start Shipping In H2'2015

Intel will begin shipping their first Skylake chips in the second half of this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the question is... Buy a T450s now or wait until Sktlake Core U hits?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I'm waiting for Skylake and the new AMDGPU driver before I upgrade to a nice Alienware 15 machine

Comment

As far as I can tell the AVX 3.2 (AVX-512F + BW/DQ/VL) won't be in the first batch, that will be reserved for Skylake Xeons.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
          As far as I can tell the AVX 3.2 (AVX-512F + BW/DQ/VL) won't be in the first batch, that will be reserved for Skylake Xeons.
          What that means is the die willl be fabricated with that capability, but Intel will be artificially disabling it for all but Xeon bins. It's one thing Intel does that urks me badly.

Comment

Core M6 are most likely usually much slower than iX-6xxx cpus. But may be useful with HDMI 2.0 and HEVC support. Broadwell has no extra features for Linux currently over Haswell (on Windows it should have full HEVC for iX-5 but not Core M5). I see no HEVC in vaapi and HDMI 2.0 is not supported, so not really future prove.

Comment

I hope they finally re-enable TSX.

Disabling TSX was a really big ice bucket to the low-level concurrency r&d community.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                I hope they finally re-enable TSX.

Disabling TSX was a really big ice bucket to the low-level concurrency r&d community.
                It is already reenabled in the F0 stepping Broadwells.

Comment

Like Broadwell, the first chips coming out of this next generation will be the "Core M" products for tablets and other low-power devices.

You are wrong. There are SKL-ULT and SKL-S coming this year as well. Planned for Q3 at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                  X