Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDPAU Support Fixed Up In Latest Mesa Git

Phoronix: VDPAU Support Fixed Up In Latest Mesa Git

For those that have been having problems using Gallium3D VDPAU recently, this video decoding should be fixed up in the latest Mesa 10.6-devel Git code and it will also be back-ported for Mesa 10.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: VDPAU Support Fixed Up In Latest Mesa Git

For those that have been having problems using Gallium3D VDPAU recently, this video decoding should be fixed up in the latest Mesa 10.6-devel Git code and it will also be back-ported for Mesa 10.5...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...allium3D-VDPAU
    There seem to be many issues with HW acceleration.

Comment

I'm on Mesa 10.4.4 right now and my 290 on radeonsi cannot use vdpau at all. If I pause or skip around a video in vlc using vdpau, it starts stuttering the frames, freezing up, heavily pixelation or color distortion, among other mess ups. Same thing with Firefox html5 video through the vaapi -> vdpau backend.

Its a good thing that software decoding is so cheap, so I really don't care, but hardware video support is pretty awful on Gallium in my experience. Of course I'll try it again on 10.5 and 3.19 soon and see if its improved.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        Its a good thing that software decoding is so cheap
        The problem is: (1) video codecs are patented and hardware is a ?!?good?!? way to pay for those patents (2) battery life. Hopefully this will all get fixed soon, though - hardware acceleration support is still fairly new in Linux.

Comment

Excelent that it is fixed.

People should not forget that many people runs HTPCs and have things like Sempron 2650 or similar... or have laptops, simply feature is *must have* for those.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            The problem is: (1) video codecs are patented and hardware is a ?!?good?!? way to pay for those patents (2) battery life. Hopefully this will all get fixed soon, though - hardware acceleration support is still fairly new in Linux.
            I wonder if we are going to get openmax decode support some day. Seems like the most legitimate hardware video acceleration "standard" out there, even if it was late to the party.

Comment

I'm on Mesa 10.4.4 right now and my 290 on radeonsi cannot use vdpau at all. If I pause or skip around a video in vlc using vdpau, it starts stuttering the frames, freezing up, heavily pixelation or color distortion, among other mess ups. Same thing with Firefox html5 video through the vaapi -> vdpau backend.
              Can you try to revert commit mentioned in this bug , above other issues it made i today found that it also made issues similar like you describe with vdpau:

Comment

Its a good thing that software decoding is so cheap, so I really don't care
                Cheap? Depends on whether or not you consider "vacuum cleaner mode" to be a fair price.

Comment

I wonder if we are going to get openmax decode support some day. Seems like the most legitimate hardware video acceleration "standard" out there, even if it was late to the party.
                  The openmax state tracker in mesa supports both decode and encode on radeon hw.

Comment

Its a good thing that software decoding is so cheap, so I really don't care, but hardware video support is pretty awful on Gallium in my experience. Of course I'll try it again on 10.5 and 3.19 soon and see if its improved.
                    Re: HW Video decode support in gallium being awful...

For some cards, it's feasible that things aren't working correctly, but for most of my machines and the applications that I use, things have been working fairly well for a while now.

On my HTPC, I use MythTV as the back/front end on top of a FM-1 socketed Llano (Sumo-chip, radeon hd 65xx?). My work machine has a radeon 5400, and my home desktops are running a radeon 6850 and a radeon 7850. Video decoding works on all of them in MythTV, SMplayer, and I believe VLC. I've also gotten browser-based decoding working on some of them, the others I haven't bothered to try.

Note that I haven't used XBMC/Kodi and my newest hardware is my 7850... that might explain why I haven't been running into any issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X