AMD R9 290 Hawaii Users Will Have An Important Fix With Linux 3.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R9 290 Hawaii Users Will Have An Important Fix With Linux 3.20

Phoronix: AMD R9 290 Hawaii Users Will Have An Important Fix With Linux 3.20

Beyond the big set of AMD Radeon changes for Linux 3.20, Alex Deucher of AMD mailed in some important Radeon DRM driver fixes today that are a big deal for some R9 290 "Hawaii" users of the open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome - good to know. Since I have only owned my 290 this winter and use electric heat, I haven't really minded the higher-than-normal power usage but it's nice to know this will be fixed.

Comment

Alex's Radeon drm-next-3.20 pull request today has a dix for embedded DisplayPort for bridge chips, but the other change is fixing the voltage setup on Hawaii. The fixed voltaged setup on Hawaii is for properly fetching the real voltage values from AtomBIOS to fix problems with dynamic clocking on certain R9 290/290X graphics cards.
      Typo marked in bold.

Comment

Yes!! I have a hybrid laptop and couldn't use the R9 M290X on Linux because it failed on resume, so only the HD8650 works which means basically no games. Looking forward to better support!

Comment

Woohoo! I was wondering if my 290s 65c idle temps were working as intended, considering it only went up to ~75c under load.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: AMD R9 290 Hawaii Users Will Have An Important Fix With Linux 3.20

Beyond the big set of AMD Radeon changes for Linux 3.20, Alex Deucher of AMD mailed in some important Radeon DRM driver fixes today that are a big deal for some R9 290 "Hawaii" users of the open-source driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...3.20-Reclockin

Question: Is there any possibility for a laptop with two GPUs of the same generation to be able to work together as one? The one is AMD 6410-R5 128sp-gcn1.0 and the other is R5-M230 320sp-gcn1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              Question: Is there any possibility for a laptop with two GPUs of the same generation to be able to work together as one? The one is AMD 6410-R5 128sp-gcn1.0 and the other is R5-M230 320sp-gcn1.0.
              The A8-6410 is not a GPU, it is an APU.
              The Radeon R5 in the A8-6410 is GCN 1.1 in your nomenclature.

They are not listed.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                The A8-6410 is not a GPU, it is an APU.
                The Radeon R5 in the A8-6410 is GCN 1.1 in your nomenclature.

They are not listed.

They are both GCN1.1, my mistake. Amd site is not any good, because i don't care about Catalyst. I was speaking about RadeonSI and the CrossFire state.

Comment

There's no Crossfire support in the open driver stack but I *think* you should be able to offload rendering to the R5-M230.

BTW from a 3D engine POV I believe the R5-M230 is GCN 1.0 -- IIRC it has an SI-class shader core but some of the other blocks are newer (eg display engine).
                  Last edited by bridgman; 15 February 2015, 08:58 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Do you really think CF does something good with fglrx? You must be lucky if it is not slower than before. Nvidia SLI/MultiGPU is useless as well, so nothing I would overrate. Just remeber for Linux you have to buy 1 fast GPU and not 2...

Comment

Working...
                    X