Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland/Weston 1.7.0 Make It For Ubuntu 15.04

Phoronix: Wayland/Weston 1.7.0 Make It For Ubuntu 15.04

While Canonical remains committed to Mir as the future display server technology for Ubuntu Linux both on the desktop and for mobile devices, the upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 release does have the latest Wayland/Weston 1.7 support too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I saw in an interview a little whole back that Mark Shuttleworth claimed that the display server was a small piece of software on the top of the stack, unlike systemd. My technological knowledge on this is limited but it strikes me that the display server is very important going forward. Note the Wayland people are not trying to force a display server on anyone, just that the new combined display server/ window manager follow the Wayland protocol. I really hope that Shuttleworth is looking to back down, while losing as little face as possible. Just make Mir compliant with the Wayland protocol and then we'll all be happy. He can still keep Mir / Unity as an independent display stack from KDE Gnome and the smaller players.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
      I saw in an interview a little whole back that Mark Shuttleworth claimed that the display server was a small piece of software on the top of the stack, unlike systemd. My technological knowledge on this is limited but it strikes me that the display server is very important going forward. Note the Wayland people are not trying to force a display server on anyone, just that the new combined display server/ window manager follow the Wayland protocol. I really hope that Shuttleworth is looking to back down, while losing as little face as possible. Just make Mir compliant with the Wayland protocol and then we'll all be happy. He can still keep Mir / Unity as an independent display stack from KDE Gnome and the smaller players.
      Lets put it this way, the only reason we're still talking of display servers is beacuse X REALLY needs to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
        For desktop computing (i.e.: GUIs) the display server and the protocol it uses is probably the most important thing ever. it determines the state of driver support for video cards.

Mir uses its own protocol which, iirc, is known to be incompatible with the Wayland protocol. This essentially fractures the graphics stack of Linux into 2.And developers (especially developers of proprietary GPU drivers, i.e. fglrx and nvidia's drivers) are not going to be assed enough to divide their limited resources on making their drivers play nice with both solutions. They will most likely just pick one and stick with it.

Even Mesa does not carry the patches required for it to work on Mir. Canonical is doing all the Mesa patching themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          For desktop computing (i.e.: GUIs) the display server and the protocol it uses is probably the most important thing ever. it determines the state of driver support for video cards.

Mir uses its own protocol which, iirc, is known to be incompatible with the Wayland protocol. This essentially fractures the graphics stack of Linux into 2.And developers (especially developers of proprietary GPU drivers, i.e. fglrx and nvidia's drivers) are not going to be assed enough to divide their limited resources on making their drivers play nice with both solutions. They will most likely just pick one and stick with it.

Even Mesa does not carry the patches required for it to work on Mir. Canonical is doing all the Mesa patching themselves.
          That's not the case. The driver requirements are almost exactly the same for Mir and Wayland (roughly KMS + EGL). Both need some small EGL extensions (that are indeed different), but in the latest state of affairs these extension might well be optional/common to drivers. It's expected that any driver that supports one will support the other, as it's a low hanging fruit.
          After all, Mir and wayland are designed on very similar concept (to the extent to which people wonder, rightfully, why Mir is necessary).

Comment

Really nice to see Wayland and Weston 1.7 land.
            Mesa 10.5 also landed.

I would love to see X.Org Server 1.17 land (with an updated XWayland).
            Maybe GTK 3.15 too?
            Right now, it contains the latest stable GTK 3.14.
            But the Wayland backend in GTK still needs some work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I want what your having...
              MIR and Wayland WILL share alot of the required code from the drivers, all that changes are a few extensions.

Comment

Umm guys, does someone ported Unity to non Ubuntu? I really like it and would like to use it ( instead Gnomes Hell ) on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  Umm guys, does someone ported Unity to non Ubuntu? I really like it and would like to use it ( instead Gnomes Hell ) on Wayland.
                  I think it's available in the AUR. See this link: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/unity/

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    I doubt Unity will run on non-Mir. It is *highly* likely to deal with Mir directly and not work with anything else. Same as X to anything else: If code isn't designed from ground up to work on different systems (like large parts of KDE), there are bound to be a lot of assumptions about what it runs on so porting will be untrivial. Although if Canonical built new Unity to run on both X and Mir, it would give some hope it would be portable to Wayland too

Comment

Working...
                    X