Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.16 Beta Brings Wayland-Based Log-in Screen

Phoronix: GNOME 3.16 Beta Brings Wayland-Based Log-in Screen

Matthias Clasen has announced the release of GNOME 3.15.90, the GNOME 3.16 Beta, that's coming out slightly delayed but still in time for some weekend testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GNOME 3.16 Beta Brings Wayland-Based Log-in Screen

Matthias Clasen has announced the release of GNOME 3.15.90, the GNOME 3.16 Beta, that's coming out slightly delayed but still in time for some weekend testing...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...15.90-Released
    Sorry but how many times exactly is this gonna be news?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
      Sorry but how many times exactly is this gonna be news?
      I haven't seen this one yet. Wayland based login screen and gnome shell notifications redesign are rather new in 3.15 beta and werent available in earlier releases. If you can't stand GNOME news, why do you bother commenting in the first place?

On topic: Nautilus improvement is rather a downgrade again. I am not sure, but it appears it has lost its preferences window and ffs, I can't find a way to set it to display "Detailed View" instead of "Icon View" for all folders and for all next sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
        I haven't seen this one yet. Wayland based login screen and gnome shell notifications redesign are rather new in 3.15 beta and werent available in earlier releases. If you can't stand GNOME news, why do you bother commenting in the first place?

On topic: Nautilus improvement is rather a downgrade again. I am not sure, but it appears it has lost its preferences window and ffs, I can't find a way to set it to display "Detailed View" instead of "Icon View" for all folders and for all next sessions.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

blame Michaels Newsbot for doubling the News stories.

Comment

That's just a plan.
            This is what actually happens.

Comment

That's nice seeing the desktop moving slowly towards Wayland...

I tried today to launch KDE under Wayland, but it seems that Kwin is not compiled with Wayland support in the official arch packages :/
              Does anyone know its porting status ? Last time I checked, it still needed a Weston compositor.

Edit : I will probably stay on X until Firefox runs on Wayland, anyway. Any status update on Firefox's Qt port ?

Comment

AFAIK firefox already runs on Wayland with the GTK+3 an since there are GTk3+ firefox builds out there i would assume its wayland compatible https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                  AFAIK firefox already runs on Wayland with the GTK+3 an since there are GTk3+ firefox builds out there i would assume its wayland compatible https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134
                  I belive it would have to be recompiled with recent GTK3 but i might be wrong.

Comment

A Wayland login screen is a good idea. Shows off the technology without going all-in for the desktop.

Gnome Wayland as a whole simply isn't ready to replace X. Still a lot of holes and papercuts to fix.

Comment

Working...
                    X