Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Rolling Out Their Own VR Dev Kit Hardware

Phoronix: Valve Is Rolling Out Their Own VR Dev Kit Hardware

Next week at the Game Developers' Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, Valve will be demoing their own VR headset hardware. This will make next week even more exciting beyond showing off the next-generation OpenGL API and this VR hardware will surely be supported under Linux/SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe the Steam Machines will come with VR stuff by default? That might be interesting if it works well.

Comment

I'm really excited about this. I also made a thread here in Linux gaming.

I also just read that they are supposedly working with a prominent hardware manufacturer.
      And this. Might nvidia be that manufacturer?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
        Might nvidia be that manufacturer?
        Surely not. Nvidia is the Activision of hardware, being evil and stuff. Steam Machines are promised to be as open as possible. Nvidia does not open source anything, does not share anything about hardware etc. (Maybe some phone related stuff...)

Comment

I hope it is not NVIDIA. I hope it is AMD or even Intel.

Comment

I think it's probably going to be someone who can make high quality screens like Samsung, but they are already working with Facebook and have their own HMD with GearVR and the Galaxy Note 4.

Comment

I think it's probably going to be someone who can make high quality screens like Samsung, but they are already working with Facebook and have their own HMD with GearVR and the Galaxy Note 4.
              So what? Samsung even makes iPhone parts...

Comment

I'm really excited about this. I also made a thread here in Linux gaming.

I also just read that they are supposedly working with a prominent hardware manufacturer.
                And this. Might nvidia be that manufacturer?
                I think that could be very likely. Valve and NVIDIA have always been very close partners.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Might nvidia be that manufacturer?
                  Surely not. Nvidia is the Activision of hardware, being evil and stuff. Steam Machines are promised to be as open as possible. Nvidia does not open source anything, does not share anything about hardware etc. (Maybe some phone related stuff...)
                  Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                  I hope it is not NVIDIA. I hope it is AMD or even Intel.
                  I think it's probably going to be someone who can make high quality screens like Samsung...
                  Since speculation is the order of the day, perhaps it's Razer. http://www.razerzone.com/osvr | http://www.osvr.com/

Though I'm not sure Razer would subjectively qualify as a "prominent hardware manufacturer".
                  Last edited by eidolon; 24 February 2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

If they're not going to release any new games, Steam Machines is doomed.

Comment

Working...
                    X