Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ Gets Smoother Scrolling, Support To Turn Off Input Methods

Phoronix: GTK+ Gets Smoother Scrolling, Support To Turn Off Input Methods

A new development release of GNOME's GTK+ tool-kit is now available ahead of next month's official GNOME 3.16 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should be mentioned that GNOME breaks any input method other than ibus. GNOME devs dont use anything else WONTSUPPORT.

Comment

Ibus breaks current torbrowser versions

Originally posted by magika View Post
      Should be mentioned that GNOME breaks any input method other than ibus. GNOME devs dont use anything else WONTSUPPORT.
      Ibus causes current versions of Torbrowser to disconnect from the keyboard. This code

ibus exit

will shut ibus down and let Torbrowser function. I ended up uninstalling ibus as I never use it for anythng anyway,

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        Ibus causes current versions of Torbrowser to disconnect from the keyboard. This code

ibus exit

will shut ibus down and let Torbrowser function. I ended up uninstalling ibus as I never use it for anythng anyway,
        Nah nah. Even if ibus is not installed, things like fcitx wont work!

Comment

Not using ANY "input method" software in userspace

Nah nah. Even if ibus is not installed, things like fcitx wont work!
          I've never used that either, so I cannot speak to that. I am not sure what kind of "input method" is the default with none of these installed other than the underlying ibus libraries gnome-shell depends on, but never had any trouble with it. Either the authors of ibus or the authors or Torbrowser need to fix the bugs that keep torbrowser and ibus from working together, because not everyone using Tor is using the European (english style) alphabet. If only ibus works in GNOME, that means someone using a different alphabet and requiring Tor to defeat China's firewall or Iran's state censors cannot use GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            If only ibus works in GNOME, that means someone using a different alphabet and requiring Tor to defeat China's firewall or Iran's state censors cannot use GNOME.
            I doubt anyone does any serious work in GNOME

Comment

Does creating movies like Wall-E count as serious work?
              If not, what exactly determines is something is serious work? What criteria can i use to point out to someone that the work they are doing isn't serious?

Comment

I ran GNOME 3 for years with the frippery extensions

I ran GNOME 3 for years with the frippery extensions in video editing machines before switching first to Cinnamon over issues with TopIcons not being ported to new releases in time, then to a mix of MATE and cairo-dock over performance issues. The default GNOME I did not find suitable for my workflow, but it worked fine with Frippery and Topicons, the latter was needed at the time for Volti so my volume control would not be in a hidden tray. GNOME's volume control did not work without pulseaudio, which had issues in both kdenlive and mplayer with 1080p AVCHD camera files at that time.

Comment

Now that you've mentioned ibus

I'm trying to use ibus-mozc for japanese input on Gnome with an Spanish keyboard.

What's the problem?

The problem is that the key combo to change towards Direct (occidental) input and Hiragana/Katakana input is CTRL BACKSLASH (\).

And, in a Spanish keyboard, the backslash is a third level character. It's under the ESC key.

So I can't compose the CTRL BACKSLASH key combo because the backslash character need another key combo "ALTGR" + "?" keys.

Any idea?
                  Last edited by DebianLinuxero; 26 February 2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                    Any idea?
                    I'm not entirely getting the problem. Which two keys would conflict and what keys are you intending to press. You normally would use altgr right? I guess this maybe conflicts with the "key above tab" keybinding GNOME uses? I think you can reconfigure that. Suggest maybe to file a bug with GNOME, even if this is a ibus thing. Maybe they have some bright ideas. Mention I said to file the bug (bkor/ovitters). Not exactly sure which product though..

Comment

Working...
                    X