Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04 Beta Released, Ubuntu MATE Made Official

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.04 Beta Released, Ubuntu MATE Made Official

The Ubuntu derivatives opting-in to doing beta releases put out their first beta today. With this 15.04 Beta 1 milestone, Ubuntu MATE has been made an official derivative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Strange that the derivatives participate in alphas and betas but ubuntu doesn't. Weeeeeird!

Comment

nope. ubuntu has daily builds and derivatives don't.

Comment

MATE and Cinnamon are both excellent DEs, I'm glad they're expanding outside of Mint. My only gripe with Cinnamon is that it uses a lot of memory, but it has by far the best HiDPI support for any linux DE.

Since XFCE development started again it will be interesting to see how they compare to MATE which has been under active development for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by niber View Post
          Seems like Kubuntu had daily builds up until Tuesday. Why did they stop?

Comment

Great news

I'm really happy that Ubuntu MATE is now official I like this distro

Comment

Originally posted by niber View Post
              Derivatives definitely do have dailies:

Lubuntu
              Xubuntu
              Kubuntu
              Ubuntu GNOME

(I'm probably forgetting some derivatives though)

Comment

Ubuntu releases

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                Strange that the derivatives participate in alphas and betas but ubuntu doesn't. Weeeeeird!
                It's weird, because Ubuntu is effectively a rolling distro in its development phase, up and until an official numbered release (which goes immediately into support mode). The derivatives follow the classic alpha-beta step-release strategy instead because that is what they decided to do.

There's no point in having an alpha or beta if you're a rolling distro. In fact, you can use Ubuntu like a permanent rolling distro if you use the devel alias instead of the latest development release name (eg. devel instead of vivid). Of course, you only get support for the official numbered releases, so adjust your expectations accordingly and forget I told you this when your system stops booting.

Comment

Mubuntu is for soon maybe...

Comment

Mate desktop brought me back to Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X