Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical's Latest Demo Of Ubuntu Unity 8 Convergence In Action

Phoronix: Canonical's Latest Demo Of Ubuntu Unity 8 Convergence In Action

A new video is out showing the latest work on Ubuntu's Unity 8 interface and the convergence user experience across phones, tablets, and desktop PCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is probably the reason why so many people seek alternatives to Unity. Cause we all knew that Unity was made to aim for touchscreen. But for everyone who uses keyboards and mice still would rather have a more optimal UI for it. Mate is definitely gaining traction even by Ubuntu. Even still, I like Mint for their selection of UI's better.

Comment

The video is way too fast for showing convergence and it looks like nothing is converged in the hardware side...

Comment

Does someone know how to start an application with XMir? X-Ubuntu-Touch=true makes an application like Libreoffice visible, but it doesn't start without XMir.

Comment

Are there any microUSB cables that have two USB-OTG Ports (for Keyboard and Mouse) and one HDMI Port (for the Monitor)?
          If people have to frankenstein a bunch of MHL and OTG-Cables together with powered USB hubs and crawl under the table to unplug their monitor and mouse/keyboard I don't see how this is attractive. Nobody wants to carry around docking stations. It has to be all wireless maybe two USB dongles at best (one for the phone and one for the PC, which still has mouse and monitor attached). But that creates other problems.

Comment

What can give full LO at this speed at you pocket?

First, ubuntu was right with MIR, if they would have to wait to Wayland they will be still waiting

This ubuntu phone is a really computer in your pocket, that you can use as any desktop computer only pluging it.

There are only one phone out there, soon it will be 2, no tablets yet, but it would be reasonable that some future tablet or phone or independent gadget would have some "a la" Chromecast device, and even a mode to use the phone or tablet as keyboard / tablet pointer in full screen meanwhile you watch a TV set with the apps screen, perhaps at your hotel, or showing a presentation, or at home watching netflix or playing an HTML or even flash game.

There are a lot of 100 USD Intel tablets out there, that I bet would have better sells if tehy would have an Ubuntu model too, i do not understand why they are waiting, and not fighting for be the first one.

I totally see this being the working pocket (and all around) OS.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
              First, ubuntu was right with MIR, if they would have to wait to Wayland they will be still waiting.
              Yeah except you could buy hardware with Wayland over a year ago and Mir still hasn't shipped on hardware. The bq phone doesn't count since I can't just buy it in the EU atm and even if I would participate in one of those "flash sales" I would get it sometime in March and not in 2-3 days. So it's more like a flash presale.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                This is probably the reason why so many people seek alternatives to Unity. Cause we all knew that Unity was made to aim for touchscreen. But for everyone who uses keyboards and mice still would rather have a more optimal UI for it. Mate is definitely gaining traction even by Ubuntu. Even still, I like Mint for their selection of UI's better.
                I'm not sure what Unity are you talking about but the one I'm using (whatever version comes with Ubuntu 14.10) is definitely not made for touchscreens. I could not imagine using it without a keyboard and mouse.

Comment

That video shows EXACTLY what I've been waiting for and predicted years ago when the first iPhone came out.

If you aren't excited by that, then either you just hate Canonical/Ubuntu/MIR/Unity/whatever and/or you just aren't the kind of person that would enjoy having their primary device scalable to multiple form factors on the fly.

Comment

Is not that bad

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Are there any microUSB cables that have two USB-OTG Ports (for Keyboard and Mouse) and one HDMI Port (for the Monitor)?
                    If people have to frankenstein a bunch of MHL and OTG-Cables together with powered USB hubs and crawl under the table to unplug their monitor and mouse/keyboard I don't see how this is attractive. Nobody wants to carry around docking stations. It has to be all wireless maybe two USB dongles at best (one for the phone and one for the PC, which still has mouse and monitor attached). But that creates other problems.
                    The way I see you only use a cable for the monitor. Mouse/keyboard connect via Bluetooth. Another possibility is to use a monitor with a USB hub.

To go 100% cable-free, you will need a device like Chromecast, or a TV/monitor with Miracast or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X