Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayOnLinux 4.2.6 Fixes A Number Of Issues

Phoronix: PlayOnLinux 4.2.6 Fixes A Number Of Issues

A new release of the PlayOnLinux graphical front-end to Wine is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm betting much more on sandboxing. sandboxes could solve same thing much better then PoL

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      i'm betting much more on sandboxing. sandboxes could solve same thing much better then PoL
      What do you mean by that?
      PoL is just a GUI wrapper for wine.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        What do you mean by that?
        PoL is just a GUI wrapper for wine.
        like first, sandbox could be used for same thing with wine as its runtime, just better and more controlled/integrated.

there are a lot of problems with PoL, but biggest would be bit rotting of scripts. try installing game and you end up with random wine version from time when birds were still trying to invent flying. install another....

don't get me wrong, PoL is really nice piece of software. but, once i realized how little it actually controls and how many problems it brings, i moved to personal scripts+btrfs in order to get better experience.

Comment

like first, sandbox could be used for same thing with wine as its runtime, just better and more controlled/integrated.

there are a lot of problems with PoL, but biggest would be bit rotting of scripts. try installing game and you end up with random wine version from time when birds were still trying to invent flying. install another....

don't get me wrong, PoL is really nice piece of software. but, once i realized how little it actually controls and how many problems it brings, i moved to personal scripts+btrfs in order to get better experience.
          The whole point of "end up with random wine version from time when birds were still trying to invent flying" is that, whenever you upgrade Wine, you risk introducing a regression in some weird place that only gets triggered rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            The whole point of "end up with random wine version from time when birds were still trying to invent flying" is that, whenever you upgrade Wine, you risk introducing a regression in some weird place that only gets triggered rarely.
            yeah, maybe but, sticking with old versions when not necessary is probably even bigger regression. cca. 110 games all work with one optimized wine for me. wine has gotten pretty much awesome in last year or two

Comment

yeah, maybe but, sticking with old versions when not necessary is probably even bigger regression. cca. 110 games all work with one optimized wine for me. wine has gotten pretty much awesome in last year or two
              That is why we need people to help to update the script. 110 scripts (even more) is hard to maintain up to date for our (small) team.

Comment

When it comes to installing Steam using Play on Linux, is it possible to make PoL use Wine 1.7.34? It has support for surround sound that Wine 1.7.33 does not have.

Portal and Portal 2 does not have support for surround sound in Linux unless I use Wine 1.7.34 or later.

Comment

Originally posted by qparis View Post
                  That is why we need people to help to update the script. 110 scripts (even more) is hard to maintain up to date for our (small) team.
                  I agree. When people never report issues with scripts when they run across them, we cannot fix them. Especially if one of us does not own the application in question. The more feedback we get from the community about issues with scripts, the better we can handle updating them.

but, once i realized how little it actually controls and how many problems it brings,
                  Actually, it can control pretty much every aspect of Wine through it's API. There is nothing that a regular Bash script can do that POL cannot (as it uses Bash for scripts, which has the benefit of interacting with the API). Also, are you reporting these "many problems"? Again, we cannot fix them if we are not informed.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                    When it comes to installing Steam using Play on Linux, is it possible to make PoL use Wine 1.7.34? It has support for surround sound that Wine 1.7.33 does not have.

Portal and Portal 2 does not have support for surround sound in Linux unless I use Wine 1.7.34 or later.
                    Portal and Portal 2 are native Linux games now. You shouldn't need to run through Wine anymore, as if you own them on Steam, you already own the native Linux version, as well. Native would be better.

As for installing Steam on POL, you can simply go to Tools -> Manage Wine Versions, pick the x86 version of Wine you want to have available, and change the Wine version on the General tab of your virtual drive. You could also do a manual install and install Steam through "Install Components", which will use whatever version of Steam you set up for that virtual drive.

Comment

Working...
                    X