Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Gets Into VR With LiquidVR Technology

Phoronix: AMD Gets Into VR With LiquidVR Technology

Another interesting announcement at GDC2015 yesterday besides the new Vulkan API, the Source 2 Engine, Unity 5, and more was AMD's LiquidVR announcement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure what difference this makes, but it's cool to see AMD taking a lead for a change. (They haven't really done that since Eyefinity.)

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I'm not sure what difference this makes, but it's cool to see AMD taking a lead for a change. (They haven't really done that since Eyefinity.)
      I haven't heard about nvidia new technology in a while. Always AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by marceel View Post
        I haven't heard about nvidia new technology in a while. Always AMD.
        The first example that comes to mind to refute your claim is G-Sync. What is noticeable in the case where nvidia comes up with a new tech first is that, in the example of G-Sync, AMD answers with an alternative that is free/open source (ie. FreeSync.)

Comment

Good to see progress happening. Let me know when its at "holodeck" level.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
            The first example that comes to mind to refute your claim is G-Sync. What is noticeable in the case where nvidia comes up with a new tech first is that, in the example of G-Sync, AMD answers with an alternative that is free/open source (ie. FreeSync.)
            Woah hang on a minute buddy... G-sync by nvidia is just A-sync with DRM http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8459, in which they DIDN'T MAKE!

Nvidia lies to its customers (sadly this is a blanket comment for most corporations these days), forces kickbacks for SLI compatibility stamp on motherboards when it's only a bios unlock. Cripples their products intentionally, don't get me started on the 970. Makes me sad when people try and defend these guys. They deserve some knocks for this junk.

AMD products have had some pretty terrible turns here and there but they are always the ones leading the way, not to say other companies don't do it better but it's usually AMD pushing computing to the next level... or you know them trying to before bailing on a product, making it horribly late or just altogether failing to deliver but dammit they're trying!

Comment

Guided by close collaboration with key technology partners in the ecosystem, LiquidVR? uses AMD?s GPU software and hardware sub-systems to tackle the common issues
              Can't they just for once drop the marketing speak and tell us:

Will it work on intel+amd ("enduro") hybrid configurations?
              Will it work on linux?
              Will it be restricted to the proprietary drivers?

Comment

Why can't the VR hype die already?

Comment

VR hype isn't going to die because some people want to have full-immersion generated 3D environments. With adaptive vsync and a powerful enough computer driving it, that's going to be possible.

If this works, and the hardware is actually affordable, it might actually take off. Then again, if something slows the app down to, say, 20 very stuttery FPS and stays there, I hope you have a bucket handy.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Good to see progress happening. Let me know when its at "holodeck" level.
                    That could happen sooner than you think. Holodeck technology is at least a decade away

Comment

Working...
                    X