Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenVG Support Stripped From Gallium3D

Phoronix: OpenVG Support Stripped From Gallium3D

The "VEGA" state tracker to provide OpenVG API support to Gallium3D graphics drivers inside Mesa has been removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    "The code would still be interesting if we wanted to implement NV_path_rendering but given the trend of the next gen graphics APIs, it seems unlikely that this becomes ARB or core."
    Kinda interesting how this seems to be a response to Vulkan. Makes me wonder if there are any plans to accelerate VM's using the API.

Comment

Displaying large vector graphics in any image viewer is a pain. I wonder whether OpenVG could have significanly sped it up?

Cairo had an OpenVG backend, but I don't think it was used by many people. I tried googling for it and found this from 2008: http://www.atoker.com/blog/2008/01/2...t-with-openvg/. Sounds quite interesting, but I didn't hear about that project. Did they drop it? Was the other hardware acceleration much better?

Comment

I always tried to use OpenVG USE flags where ever possible. Sadly my main vector processing program, inkscape did not yet make use of OpenVG. And yes, large anc complex SVG can somehow become really slow. It was an OS-independent pain in inkscape. At least they have multiprocessor support now.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I guess they are making space for the Vulkan code.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            I guess they are making space for the Vulkan code.
            And what does all this mean for MESAs future? Will they implement Vulkan after they finished OpenGL? Or will Vulkan get a higher priority? Or are they going to do both in parallel which will result in the change from horrible slow development to duke-nukem-forever/never-be-finished mesa development.

Comment

FWIW keep in mind this is about code in git. It doesn't magically disappear because of these commits and can be reintroduced if necessary

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                And what does all this mean for MESAs future? Will they implement Vulkan after they finished OpenGL? Or will Vulkan get a higher priority? Or are they going to do both in parallel which will result in the change from horrible slow development to duke-nukem-forever/never-be-finished mesa development.
                I do hope this marks the end for classic Mesa drivers at any rate. Code sharing between drivers must work pretty well if they want to avoid fate you described

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  It certainly appears that the stupidity of complaints against open source drivers is a function of their completeness. I mean really? OpenGL 4.2 support is right around the corner and the remaining versions beyond that have a lot done on them already. The progress done if anything has been amazing given the manpower that they're having to deal with and personally I don't expect Vulkan to take that long after the spec has been finalized. If anything I expect large code drops to be incoming after the finalization.

Comment

Maybe AMD Catalyst will share its future Vulkan stack with Mesa. Like they said they want to do with 2D (GLAMOR).

Comment

Working...
                    X