Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravi: An Experimental Derivative Of Lua In LLVM

Phoronix: Ravi: An Experimental Derivative Of Lua In LLVM

Ravi is a new open-source project that's an experimental dialect/derivative of Lua using LLVM for JIT compilation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I welcome jit for lua5.3 .
    I think lua5.3 is a major breakthrough in platform interfacing, while lua5.2 did a lot for language semantics.
    The biggest + in 5.3 is the native 64 bit types.
    Anyone that has to do os/system interfacing will understand that. Almost everything these days are 64 bit integers, and the lua number was a 64 bit float (in 32 bit old intel architectures it is probably 80 bits, but the 64 bit architecture just supports IEEE floats). There is a big difference in having a 64 bit inode nr represented in a language native instead of 8 bytes of user data (for which you have to implement all handlers).
    Luajit is 5.1 compatible and a lot of software sticks at 5.1, so I hope this will mean skipping 5.2 and good support for 5.3.

Comment

The interesting issue will be how the performance compares. IIRC, Lua has one of the fastest JITs - it'll be interesting to see if LLVM can match it.

Comment

Working...
      X